OT: Small hand held manual fans from where please?

Hi All,

My Google / eBay powers seem to have left me and you guys are well traveled so ... ;-)

The Mrs needs to keep a little hand fan in her pocket for when she has a 'power surge' and was given a particularly nice and small manual fan a while ago which has nearly worn out.

Most of the fans seem to be between 7 to 9" long when folded and too big but the one she has is nearer 5" and perfect.

Our request is has anyone seen this particular size for sale, ideally in a high street chain so that we might be able to pick up a few please?

And it has to be yer traditional fold_up fan, cooling sprays or electric fans aren't suitable I'm afraid.

If I can't find her something the right size I may look for something that takes being trimmed down. However, if you took something like this at 9" long:

cut it down to 5" you wouldn't have much 'fan' left would you?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. We did find these:

she's not tried that shape yet (and they are out of stock atm). Not sure if they would move as much air for the same folded length as the semi circular designs?

p.p.s. Yes, I have made the basic paper zig-zag fans when we have been out and she's left her fan at home. Whilst it worked it wasn't quite as efficient, durable or functional as a mass produced jobby.

Reply to
T i m

Tried a toy shop?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

DIY from lolly sticks?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I love this place. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No I haven't but a good idea (especially as my mate runs one!). ;-)

Apparently not. They normally stock the little electric ones but haven't even got any of them yet (and the Mrs can't even feel them when she having a power surge).

But, he's going to Spain later in the year and sometimes goes to Chinatown so will keep an eye out for us. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Make one from a 12v ( is it 12 v?) Computer Cooling Fan .

Reply to
Sea Monkey

That would make it an electric fan.

The OP specifically stated that he wanted a manually operated fan:-)

Quote "And it has to be yer traditional fold_up fan, cooling sprays or electric fans aren't suitable I'm afraid. "

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But he tried to help Adam and it's the thought that counts. ;-)

I was just visualising the Mrs wearing this Heath Robinson contraption. Shoulder harness and arms to support the fan in front of her face, 12V car battery on her back, charger in her pocket ...

I really feel sorry for her as she's been getting these 'power surges' for a good few years now and we are both waiting for them to stop.

On the flip side it means we rarely have any heating on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Search on eBay for "hand fan". Over 1000 of them.

Reply to
Bruce

So what's wrong with electric fans?

Reply to
Sea Monkey

Indeed, but could you point me to a link for one that is ~5" folded please.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is that not YOUR job?

Reply to
Sea Monkey

I suppose you'd like me to buy it for your poor wife as well.

I do feel sorry for her, being married to a jerk like you.

Reply to
Bruce

Erm yes ... and I tried to be nice to you.

But, if you don't understand the question I guess you wouldn't be able to find the answer.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is it half term already?

Ok, this was how the question started...

"My Google / eBay powers seem to have left me and you guys are well traveled so ... ;-)"

That bit should have answered your first reply but you were too thick to get it.

"Most of the fans seem to be between 7 to 9" long when folded and too big but the one she has is nearer 5" and perfect."

That was the second clue you failed to spot. Yes, there are loads of useless things all over the web I could buy, that doesn't happen to solve my problem.

"Our request is has anyone seen this particular size for sale, ideally in a high street chain so that we might be able to pick up a few please?"

So I guess you haven't seen one or you wouldn't have offered 'find it yourself' as a solution?

So, your replies were useful because?

T i m

p.s. But no, I neither need you to get nor pay for a suitable fan, I'd just like you to point me to any one of the thousands you so cleverly found that fits my original description. If you can, great and thanks. If you can't I'd carefully reconsider which one of us is the jerk.

Reply to
T i m

So you expect other people to do detailed searching on eBay (or elsewhere) because you are too damn lazy to do it yourself?

Sounds like *the perfect definition* of a jerk.

Welcome to my kill file. Bye! ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Not sure the logic is strong with this one. He can't understand a fully explained question and I'm the jerk. ;-)

Sounds like his kill file is the best place to be if that's an example of his contribution to the group (well, based on what I have seen so far etc).

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Have you considered cutting down a larger one (folded)

Or is the one you want that folds out from the 5" dimension to a full size 7-9" arc?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Seeing this DIY, could you build her something like this.

Baz

I had but it seems many of the bigger (and easy to get) ones have sorta spokes near where you would hold it then actual 'fan' from there to the tip. I wasn't sure what cutting even 2" from what may only be

4" of 'fan' would do to it's effectiveness, if it would be worse than a fan where the material started very near the hinge etc?

Only one way to find out I guess. ;-)

I've since found these (which could be perfect) but they are a bit pricey:

's not the one off cost but she seems to get through them pretty quickly (and I've repaired most of them a few times at that).

Erm, I guess she would like the one that provides the biggest fanning area but still fits in her pocket (at about 5"). [1]

I was trying to think if you could have an additional fold, so it opens out to twice the length before fanning out as such but I didn't think you could make such sufficiently rigid whilst being flexible enough to stand the folding etc.

Cheers, T i m

[1] If you haven't known someone who is going though this I don't think you could quite understand how overwhelmingly uncomfortable the thing is (from what she's explained to me). It's nothing to do with 'being too warm' but an overwhelming rush of heat from within that if 'managed' (by say a hand fan you can keep in your pocket) it can just stop you tipping over the edge. Whilst it's not actually anything to do with the problem I don't think her working in a care home (always pretty 'warm') helps and hence why she's happy to be in the cool after, especially after a 12hr shift.
Reply to
T i m