OT: slops in beer

Very easily done. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

That wasn?t necessarily how beer was made in those days.

is what made it safe(r) to drink, as the heat killed off

Reply to
9pl

Not known so much as necessary to get what you need out of the wort to make a viable liquor which is then filtered, cooled and fermented.

Reply to
9pl

They didn?t. They ONLY knew that that was necessary to get the starch out of the mash that they needed to ferment to make beer.

Nope, by experimentation on what it took to get the starch out of the mash.

Nope. Beer can spoil in the fermentation stage when wild yeast gets into the brew. But it is quite easy to avoid that happening.

Other stuff like cider just often uses the wild yeast to good effect.

Nope, that is how beer has been done for millennia now with some variation in the detail.

Reply to
9pl

Rather my thoughts too, and I have nearly a decade on you.

Reply to
newshound

In a posh pub I used to frequent, one of the regulars spent a night scrounging what collected in the drip trays to stew steak in.

Reply to
Ian Field

It was a pub that is part of a large chain. It was in Sheffield. Don't worry, when I have some written responses I will put then where you can see them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Talking of gin, this afternoon I had two coffees on an empty stomach, then nothing for an hour or so, during which time I was taking gentle exercise with a the strimmer. Then I caught the temporary cook with a G & T. Not to be outdone I made one for myself. OK, it was a triple G and not a lot of T. I had one mouthful, and within three minutes I felt peculiar. I took another sip and I thought I was going to faint, honestly! I've never had a such a swift reaction to alcohol. I left the glass, still 7/8ths full, until I'd eaten.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This was my reaction. I have heard tales of course, but I've never seen owt like that. I just wish I'd been there because Brian is quite diffident and I am not.

Have no fear I will report developments.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's because in those times it wasn't realised that boiling the water killed the bugs.

You don't add the yeast at the boiling stage.

Reply to
alan_m

Please do. I can guess who you mean, but I've never seen it done.

Reply to
RJH

Autovac economisers are still fairly common in West Yorkshire, using a stainless steel drip tray with a controlled return to the pump cylinder (not to the cask) and fresh glasses are insisted upon in most pubs that use them. Properly trained staff only allow the beer to run over the clean glass but i have seen it flow over a handful of rings in the past.

Cheers,

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It happens all of the time, you just need to try to look behind the bar.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Beware of pubs with a waiter/waitress service. To save you getting up from the table to get your next round of drinks a member of staff will bring the beer to the table. You will not see what goes on behind the bar. It's much the same with restaurants masquerading as pubs.

I have seen on many occasions where the slop trays have been emptied into glasses sat behind the bar and then filled from the pump when a customer orders a beer. Usually seen in pubs where the dispense is deliberately designed to give a short measure by way of a big head and there is much overflow from the glass. In many pubs the slop trays are not cleaned at the end of a session - just emptied and left to dry.

Reply to
alan_m

I haven't had waiter service for beer (aside from with a meal) other than at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. And the waiter was a dead ringer for a young Dustin Hoffman.

Reply to
Tim Watts

..and another is to continue pulling pints after the lees are hit until someone complains. Usually me.

What has this to do with digital TV?

George

Reply to
Anonymous

Dustin Hofbrauhaus?

I think many (most?) German Brauhauser have table service. At least in my experience in Munich, Augsburg and Koln.

George

Reply to
Anonymous

+1
Reply to
Martin

The breweries own all the TV stations and broadcast a load of crap so everyone turns the telly off and goes down the pub.

Reply to
Ian Field

Reply to
lotty1018