OT: slops in beer

From my sister:

Brian refused to accept a pint as the barmaid had poured beer from a plastic container into the glass before pulling the pint. She pulled him a fresh pint, but then the manager had a go at Brian for having sharp words with the barmaid. It looks as though this is normal practice, as each pump had a square plastic margarine tub balanced in the slop tray underneath the bar. Makes you wonder what other unpleasant or unhygienic practices go on there.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Although I do not agree with it could you explain why it is unhygienic?

Reply to
F Murtz

The beer in the tray has passed over the hands of the barmaid. She has been handling change, etc.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Anything could have fallen into the tray and how long have the dregs been in there ? There's no guarantee, that she empties it every time - still wrong if she does,

Reply to
Andy Cap

Often glasses are re-used. (Used to be absolutely normal but there was a push to using clean glasses each time quite a number of years ago. I doubt it has stopped the practice.) ) So anything flowing over a glass might carry saliva and whatever else has got onto the glass from the customer.

Reply to
polygonum

I was instructed to use the slops when I worked in a bar in the late 80s. Pressure was put on the manager from the brewery, "a keg holds X pints and you only sold Y". I think the drip trays that returned the drink to the pump had recently been banned. Slops from the tray is not as bad as the second managers trick. We had two buckets, one for lager and one for beer. These buckets were drained back into the kegs at the end of the evening. Beware any bar that has a means of collecting the overspill. I had friends who worked at other bars and they were instructed to do the same.

Reply to
misterroy

Don't know how much mythology this is, but always used to be said that slops (i.e pulled but clean) beer could galley be added to the mild but no other beer.

Reply to
polygonum

Depends on how clean the tub is and how long the liquid has been in it, I guess. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Economisers that returned beer back to the barrel were polio vectors in the

1950s.
Reply to
Martin

Given the price paid for a pint, and the markup from a barrel, I'm surprised that nay pub would consider doing anything like that. 1 pint pulled would pay for 5 pints of dregs.

Reply to
Fredxxx

but each pint of dregs is worth £2.50 profit, depending on the location in UK.

Another nasty trick is not to flush the plumbing sufficiently after cleaning fluid has been used.

Reply to
Martin

£2.50 that's a cheap pint!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

£2.50 is the profit in a £3 pint.
Reply to
Martin

£4.05 on Wednesday night in our local
Reply to
charles

The answer is to stick to pre-packed beer, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given the tax is nearly 50p, that's good going.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they sell the slops then it 100% profit as they are getting money for something that would have been thrown away.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

OK £2 then. Tied pubs pay the brewery 80p/pint.

Reply to
Martin

It doesn't, it represents 60p loss, the price a pub will purchase it's beer.

If demand outstripped supply I would agree with you, but that is rare and down to incompetence.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Definitely needs reporting to the local environmental health authorities.

Reply to
Peter Crosland