OT Skybox Behaviour

I have a Sky Plus box, second hand, which I use for free to air only.
Recently it ran a software update and since then is sounding different! By this I mean that the sound that the unit itself makes has vanished. Previously, when the box was started from standby, you could hear the hard drive spin up but now there's nothing. The box still works as previous albeit with a less clear interface on the programme guide due to update.
Anyone else noticed a change in box behaviour/working noise recently?
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On 07/09/16 16:55, Brian Gaff wrote:

THat's exactly the sort of update that happens.
"George, we are getting a lot of drive failures" "Well buy better disk and put a better fan in it then" "Cant afford to do that - cant you fix it in software?" "Well I can spin the drives down when not in use I suppose".

A settable option with Toppies:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Hi
We too have a sky+ box in our bedroom and just watching freeview channels. Out of interest how did you get the update in the first place? Does it come via the sat? I don't think we have ever had one.
Was also wondering of you had any tips regarding the channel guide? Most of the 100's channels are not available via freesat. We spend ages looking fo r something to watch and then find it is not available. I keep meaning to b uy a freesat box but not got around to it.
Amusingly our one must have come from the Midlands as we get their news ins tead of London. Does seem you can change this.
Thanks Lee.
On 07/09/2016 19:51, Tim Lamb wrote:

Surely on most PVRs? Some people will only use them for recording - others will want a rewind of live TV requiring the disk to be spinning and recording continuously.
On my Enigma 2 box I can have automatic timeshift on or off plus a few more options.
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Timeshift/
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:06:33 +0100, alan_m wrote:

I don't know if ours is settable, but it powers off after a coiple of hours if not used, so the disk spins down too. I might investigate leaving it spinning.
(every other disk in the house is spinning 24/7, and there are at least 16 of them)
On 07/09/2016 23:23, Bob Eager wrote:

There will be an ECO power saving option that you should be able to turn off.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk