[OT] SIP/VoIP and multiple SIP clients (phones)

I think pretty well all SIP phones also support STUN, which is what you will normally use to handle NAT. The Sipuras (Linksys, now Cisco) can be configured to frig their SIP packets for NAT without using STUN if the external IP stays the same, but it's probably just easier to use STUN always. It will work out what sort of NAT is in use, and take appropriate measures to get SIP and RTP through it without you having to worry about it. I suspect all ITSP's will provide an STUN server, but in theory you can use anyone's STUN server, providing they don't block you and don't mind.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah. Thanks Andrew. I have also found the core problem - I have an ancient iPhone 3G and due to lack of RAM, this does not support backgrounding even with iOS 4.x

As you say, when the app is open, it rings fine and instantly and reliably - and I have not special routers here (just an old WRT54GS running OpenWRT which i have made no special setup for VoIP).

Given one of my 2 old DECT handsets is dead and the other is in a bad way, I may proceed with buying a Siemens Gigaset A580IP or maybe the next one up - and fix the mobile issue when my O2 contract runs out next March (by buying a handset that can do proper multitasking).

At least I will still get voicemail by email (works very nicely with sipgate.co.uk and probably works fine with A&A). So that's one problem solvd. and if I am leaving the house expecting a phonecall, I can always leave the app open...

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nice bit of proving just done:

The Bria app on both an android pad and iPhone: Ring the VoIP number and both handsets ring (this is on NAT BTW). Answer one, the other shuts up immediately. This should work equally well with a Gigaset handset keyed in too. No local software - just all direct to Sipgate.co.uk.

Good clear lines, although the android app has some latency - about 0.5 second but that should not be noticeable.

Some more tests at work tomorrow on a different WiFI base and I'll order up a handset. If the iPhones backgrounded properly (like the android) I probably would not bother with a "real" handset, but it would probably be wise to have one as is - especially as it can sit on the POTS line too.

Seems sipgate.co.uk can port my existing number in from BT too (I expect A&A could too) so I don't even need to tell people the changes.

I'm liking the look of this system :)

Then I will be ready for when the daughter grows up and spends her whole life yabbering on the phone - she can have an extra number...

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is that number on a line you expect to continue using (for PSTN or ADSL) afterwards the port? If so, don't do it, AFAIK it will cease the line, if it's a callsign number you might be OK, but get it in writing first!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not noticable? 1/2 a second is about the same as single satelite hop, it would drive me insane! The ordinary mobile phone delay of a few tens of milliseconds annoys me and makes for stilted conversations.

My daughter texts *far* more than using voice or is on MSN or Faceache, at least when she is home.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ahem!... If your daughter is like most others all they seem to do now is TxT ..

Talking is no go anymore among the young;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

My son has a 5000 texts/month fair usage on his contract. He regularly exceeds it...

Reply to
Bob Eager

My daughter managed 7000 odd one month !....

Reply to
tony sayer

The port has to be arranged via BT in the first instance - I have not spoken to them but I assume it is possible to have a new number allocated to the POTS to keep it alive?

I believe it is possible to have an DSL only line (no POTS) - seem to remember reading that a while back, but I would want that for backup anyany...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, it seemed to be Android related - the iPhone has no noticeable delay.

We're talking about having a facility that did not exist previously (mobile house number) so I can forgive it :)

Mine have Google+ ready to go... Hopefully texting will be dead by then... I hate texting.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Worth checking in uk.telecom, someone like Gordon Henderson will know for sure if it's possible, but I think it's not ...

Naked DSL, not available from BT

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just don't go there... I've heard it's possible, but I don't know anyone who has done it successfully. Maybe A&A or Gradwell have more clout, but really, don't trust the system... I've nevertried it - it involves just too many processes - both BT and your ISP (and all the other bits of BT in-between)

Sadly no. The best is to get a line from one of their resellers and just run ADSL on it and don't plug a phone in. (Or just have an old phone with the ringer off for emergencies when the power is out and you can't find your mobile)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Good grief. I don't think I'll exceed 5000 texts in my entire life.

Reply to
Huge

Same here. He has whole conversations by text. In no month this year has he used fewer than 4500, and frequently it's more like 5500.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I imagine that's why the phone people keep brightly telling me how many "free" texts I'll get with the SIMM I want for my Blackberry. Whereas what I want is free data...

Reply to
Huge

Indeed. He made the mistake of locking into that contract for two years. Now he wants giffgaff, but can't afford the exit fee...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hmmmm. Will giffgaff work for my Blackberry? (I know very little about mobile telephony?)

Reply to
Huge

Not sure. It's a bog standard SIM on the O2 network. But cheaper.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They are the only one that actually works in Robertsbridge... Everyone else is total pants :(

Reply to
Tim Watts

You might have a jump through a few hoops, like starting a new account for the keep alive number and have that put onto the old line as a "same day take over" which should be free. As there is no physical installation or changes there shouldn't be an install fee either but it's a very long time since I looked that closely at the BT Price List.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice