[OT] Sheds from space

I just downloaded Google Earth from

your postcode and press return then fiddle with your mouse wheel

Totally awesome. I can see my shed from space!!! (well low earth orbit I suppose)

Vortex

Whereabouts are you? Some areas are mapped better than others but I agree, it's a good bit of kit. Have you tried tilting the map when you get down low? That's the future of mapping, that is!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

You can see anything from space with sufficient magnification ;) Google Earth is good, but sadly photos of most of the UK (and world) is poor resolution.

alex

Reply to
Alex

Also...viewing the English Channel as a puddle, turning from Dover to France is quite fascinating!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

They'll have to do a lot better, resolutionwise, to make it worthwhile. All I'm getting, anywhere I've looked, is vague green and brown blobs.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Only certain areas of the UK/planet appear to be on the database at full resolution. One must assume that the database will be added to over time.

Take a look at central London, or the Grand Canyon. Also look at Boston (Massachusetts USA) and turn on "3D Buildings" option. Amazing.

I want a 3D sheds option.

vortex2

I can just about make out the building that contains your office...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've been playing with it for a couple of days. It's not good. In fact it's evil. I should be doing other things ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Campus is rather... blurry

Reply to
Alex

"vortex2" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pins.co.uk:

Delighted to be able to see the cars outside our house in High Wycombe. (Maybe that should be 'with imagination just about make out'.) But looking elsewhere has indeed been a bit disappointing sometimes.

Reply to
Rod

It's possibleto see cars, buses, boats etc. easily in London - but no evidence otherwise of people ...

Now off to look at your car :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's generally agreed that some 10cm is about the best that can be done. Because of atmospheric turbulence, and resolution limits of telescope mirrors.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What is it about High Wycombe that requires such high resolution positional data ... hmmm; could it be the ... ?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Yes, I wondered that. It must be fifteen years since I used to go to HW but I can't remember anything about it. Even the high res. view didn't help.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So why don't we all have car numberplates on the roof in 20cm lettering so we can all be tracked from space[1]?

If it saves just one kiddy in the war against terrorism ...

Owain

[1] Police cars already do have ID numbers on the roof, as do some other vehicles.
Reply to
Owain

How about GoogleMoon?

Fascinating - especially when you get in really close.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

have to zoom in close to see the real secrets revealed.

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Hehehe!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:42de0eae$0$23043$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

Bomber Command? Hughenden Manor was actually a map making centre during WWII - supplying them a few miles down the road to Bomber Command HQ. (I hadn't realised all of this until we walked there last weekend.)

Reply to
Rod

No, Baby son did his Masters there... and we know some beekeepers who live in HW too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher