OT Shale gas.

No I accept expert opinion until proved wrong or a greater number of experts say something else. That hasn't happened yet. I don't cling to some belief because I hope nothing will change and I can go on as before.

The the weather is definitely doing different things to what it used to. Ans scientists from all over the world are in broad agreemamnt. Only the ones in the pay of the fossil fuel industry say different. Only the brain dead believe them. Yes you Dennis.

Reply to
harryagain

harryagain

Nobody believes you're that smart Dennis.

Reply to
harryagain

They did have coal and oil in the middle ages.

Reply to
harryagain

What's it doing that it hasn't done before?

Reply to
dennis

I think harry means that the politicians are in broad agreement. I don't imagine the scientists are, he's just trying to spin it that way.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So you're a trekky? Unable to differentiate fact from fiction. Beamed up from Lala Land?

Reply to
harryagain

Well if you'd read the links supporting this claim you'd realise that one said it was all drivel. I believe that because they've been promising a fusion reactor for about fifty years. The technology mentioned by Lockheed Martin has been explored years ago and found wanting.

We were all suposed to have helicopters instead of cars by now. There were supposed to have been moon bases by now. There were supposed to be death rays by now. Anti gravity. Live for three hundrd years. Cure for cancer. etc etc.

Progress can't be predicted. Though today's science fiction can be tomorrow's science fact.

Stuff goes backwards too. Eg Concord. Virgin Galactica. Space shuttle.

Reply to
harryagain

Ergo, there's something up.

Reply to
harryagain

In my book raw materials are the start elements of some sort of manufacturing process. Eg iron ore, water, air, fossil fuel.

You start with iron ore, carbon, limestone, and air. (Raw materials) All are used once only. And end up with iron or steel.

Reply to
harryagain

Lots believe you are dumb enough to believe stuff that they refuse to publish the data for.

Reply to
dennis

You have a very limited view of what a raw material is. Anything that can be processed to make a finished product is a raw material and, historically, possibly one of the most important raw materials has been wood.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 17/11/2014 10:03, Martin Brown wrote: ....

I can't find the links now. They were on a previous computer and a Google search is dominated by much more recent reports from the Pulkovo Observatory that we are about to enter a centuries long cooling period. However, IIRC it was the Russian Academy of Science who, around the turn of the century, predicted that the rise in global temperatures would not continue and that, around 2012, we would be moving into a cooling period. It is too soon to know whether they got the last right, but they certainly got a lot closer to what has happened since 2000 than the IPCC.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 17/11/2014 19:01, "Nightjar

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ground transport by electricity will be a severe challenge unless battery technology makes an order of magnitude improvement in current price, weight and performance.

The patents for it are just starting to be published, but are so vague that they appear to be claiming to have invented magnetic confinement that magically doesn't have plasma instabilities without saying how. USPTO has the dubious distinction of granting patents on anything no matter how absurd or blindingly obvious prior art may exist.

Best recently was Amazons patent on photographing objects against a white screen:

The granting of a US patent is no evidence of invention!

I don't think they fancied cleaning up after one crashed either...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Patents don't have to give an explanation as to how or why something works. In many cases, the how or why may not be known by the inventor.

Unless you are taking out a US patent from outside the US, when it becomes very difficult to get a patent granted, and all sorts of irrelevant objections and 'prior art' are invoked. The US PO definitely knows who it works for!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Reply to
Nightjar

Anybody that has a garden will have noticed the difference but I expect you sit in the house and watch TV. We have become aware of how pollution from burning coal/oil is damaging our health. We have become aware of AGW. No solution has been found for the nuclear waste problem. There is plitical turmoil in many oil/gas producing coutries. Likely to get worse.

But you Dennis are so thick, it's beyond your tiny mind to see past the end of your nose.

Something here for shit-fer-brains like you to read. TurNiP should read it too.

harryagain

Ah so you have noticed how much more difficult it is to grow grapes and olives like we did a few centuries ago when the climate was a bit warmer.

What else have you noticed?

I knew that within a few years of being born.

We have produced some erroneous models that claim agw is happening. Anyone that trusts models that always get it wrong is being stupid.

No solution that satisfies the uneducated like you.

A very good reason to invest in fracking and nukes.

Reply to
dennis