OT Shale gas.

So harry what qualifications do you need to accept a model is correct even though it gets the answers wrong?

Reply to
dennis

It is laughable how low you have to stoop even to the point of ignoring the fact that nearly everyone accepts the climate changes.

Reply to
dennis

Its not quite like that. They run several sets of starting data through the models, choose the worst cases and use scare tactics to try and get more funding to produce better results. What counts as better is the real question.

Its the same technique the greens use on nuclear power.

Reply to
dennis

Religious fervour

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can decompose any time series into a number of cyclic components, and that is good science. Personally, I find it is interesting that it was clearly warm in Roman and medieval times, cool in the dark ages and the little ice age.

But arguments of the form "It's the warmest it has been since records began" can equally be restated as "It's been getting warmer since the little ice age", which is perhaps not so unexpected. You see these arguments all the time from some of the so-called experts, and it is bad science to ignore the fact that there were significant cycles before industrialisation.

And these days, where "publication by press release" is increasingly common, this introduces bias. High forecasts are news, low forecasts are not. This doesn't just apply to the general public, it affects the whole funding process. To my mind, at the moment there is far too much computer modelling, which is relatively easy, and not enough experimental measurement, which is hard. We need more Lovelocks.

Reply to
newshound

People with any sense accept expert opinion. By far the majority of which says AGW is a fact. Everywhere in the world, not just here in the UK. But Dopey Dennis with zero qualifications in any related topic thinks they're all wrong.

Reply to
harryagain

There is no such thing. Just Lala Land drivel.

Reply to
harryagain

Renewable energy comes mostly from the sun. Which has a remaining life of a good few billion years.

Reply to
harryagain

Not entirely drivel, Harry. Lockheed Martin claim to be in the process of developing a compact beta fusion reactor, see

Whether it will ever appear, and if it does, whether it would ever be suitable for powering a plane is another matter, but LM are obviously investing a lot of cash and their reputation in it.

But in the early 1950's Oak Ridge built and tested the Fireball molten salt reactor. It was only 1.4 metres in diameter and was used to power

4 jet engines, producing 200MWt. The object of the exercise was to produce a power source that meant planes could remain airborne for long periods without running out of fuel. Never actually tested in a plane, because in-flight refueling of conventional bombers was developed that meant it was no longer needled, but basically quite practical. Read all about it here
Chris Hogg

There, corrected that for you!

Reply to
Capitol

How does that stop fossil fuels running out? Oil produced from renewable materials is not fossil oil.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What do they mean by that? Presumably they mean the release of CO2 into the atmosphere rather than society not using anything based on carbon, which would be a tad difficult). So one has to assume they mean the release of fossil carbon rather than just using carbon.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It won't stop them running out, but it does mean it won't matter when, a long time from now, they do.

Reply to
Nightjar

It is still finite, but as long as it keeps going, we can grow things, so they are just as renewable as the energy sources.

Reply to
Nightjar

No, I'm sure they mean use nothing based on carbon - they aren't scientists, you know.

Reply to
charles

I should have also said: nor are they dieticians.

Reply to
charles

There were test flights of a bomber carrying a working nuclear reactor, although those were to test the shielding and it did not actually power the aircraft:

Nightjar

For once, I would tend to agree with you, were it not for who is making the claims. Lockheed Martin Skunk Works have an impressive record and they aren't the sort of people to go public on something like this without a high level of confidence of success.

Reply to
Nightjar

Good, excellent news. Since the IPCC members are a carbon-based life-form (as is harry), that will imply self-immolation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So an expert tells you the wrong answer but you accept it anyway. Not only that but you accept it the next time they get it wrong and the next, and the next..

You know what they say about doing the same thing and expecting something different.

Reply to
dennis