OT - Self Storage places

On a journey my daughter said - "Why are Self Store depots always painted such bright colours? (Often yellow and blue)

I can't explain - they don't need to attract passing trade as I guess most people will look for one from home using a directory.

Reply to
John

to give a pseudo reassuring feel to punters who would be rightly dubious of a typical grey block roller shuttered industrial unit

*purporting* to be "self storage innit mate phwoar wotcha got in ere then"?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

I think they might get some passing trade, actually. I can imagine people with too much crap around the house driving past every day and thinking "hmm, imagine how nice it would be if I had that space back..."

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Pete Verdon gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains, so the colour is a really easy differentiator.

"Yeh, I go past one every day. Oh, bloody hell... Which one? The green one..."

Reply to
Adrian

They are not cheap :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Ah, the one with the lighthouse? Now what's that all about?

Meanwhile, I think this one looks quite hideous.

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London

is it about commercial properties...

Reply to
Adrian C

Leave it alone - its where I buy my durain from

I'd much rather a supermarket with a bit of colour and character than another drab Tesco or Sainsburys

Reply to
geoff

Durian? You are brave

NT

Reply to
NT

Then you would guess wrong :-)

People shop from their memories, not directories. Directories are a last resort when memory fails - reactive marketing.

Bright colours, a decent logo and a highly visible presence lock into peoples memories - pro active marketing.

I spent £150 on having my logo designed by a professional graphic artist and nearly £400 on having my van signwritten. I get more work from that than any other form of advertising. Over 5 years thats dirt cheap advertising.

Most common comment "I see your vans all over the place". I only have one :-)

Anyone considering self storage will first think "there's that place on XYZ Road" and go there.

Directories also list all your competitors, inviting price comparisons, which is why I don't advertise in any of them. They are yesterdays papers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds good Dave - although I am still a bit mystified as to why they all seem to have developed the same level of garishness - painting every square inch in a bright colour. I guess your van is a bit more tasteful.

Reply to
John

My dirt cheap advertising was renting a panel on the back of a bus.

My retail shop had the advantage of being located on a very busy road leading to the town centre with seven or eight bus routes stopping just outside. I found that, when I was delivering to customers and battling through the traffic, I spent a lot of time queuing behind buses and the idea of advertising on them suddenly occurred to me.

It cost me £120 a year for a space on the engine cover and that included all the artwork, based on a rough layout I supplied.

It was a great success. The advert was at just above eye level so anyone in the first two or three cars behind the bus good a good view of it. Quite a few new customers said they had seen my advert on the buses - we always asked people why they had chosen us over other, similar businesses. They thought I had adverts on more than one bus - I asked several customers to guess how many and the lowest guess was three. But it was only one!

As you say, cheap advertising.

Reply to
Bruce

I can recall two names:

Red Storage and Big Yellow Storage.

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I still have customers that say that they have seen my vans:-) Odd that my van is a white van with NO signage on it at all.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Nah - its lovely

It just has a bad name with those who prefer the bland and tasteless

Reply to
geoff

I've never tried it, though in Wing Yip it does pong a bit. Hmmmm, might drive over tomorrow and get some ...

... and then perhaps torch the car, as that might be impossible to sell later.

Adrian C

It has the most delicious rich creamy taste imaginable

Just don't listen to the negative comments by the golden delicious appreciation society

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

I'll give it a miss, thanks.

"... its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. "

"Other comparisons have been made with the civet, sewage, stale vomit, skunk spray and used surgical swabs."

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It doesn't pong as much as the "Blachen Dried Shrimp Powder" or the squashed wind dried duck. And from what I recall it's nowhere near the assault on the senses of the dried salted prunes.

Hmm, two things I miss from M/C the Woo Sang and Wing Yip.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

You could always stick to your good old irish praties

you could have Maris Piper on Monday, Disiree on tuesday, Osprey on Wednesday,

you could boil them, mash them, bake them ... the possibilities are endless

Like I said - the golden delicious brigade - how many of these fuckwits have ever travelled more than two miles down the road on a 276 from their bedsit in Hackney ?

The original bad reference to durian was IIRC in the lonely planet guide to SE Asia some 30 years ago

Since then, it seems that the sort of crap journos who describe wiring as "spaghetti" seem to have jumped on the bandwagon - they've prolly never seen one let alone smelt or tasted one

FFS Dave don't go dennis on us

Now, a gold star for anyone who can find that video of some eejut in Thailand trying to head one (in the football sense) on the web

Reply to
geoff

Grimly Curmudgeon wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:48

So a bit of an aquired taste then, like Guinness?

Reply to
Tim Watts