[OT] Seek good supplier for cheap, basic memory

Rather than use a CD, I want to see if it is cheaper to give data to friends on a cheap USB stick or on an SD card plus reader. Has anyone made this comparison for the UK?

I see cheap (and possibly not long-lasting) USB memory sticks can be had at £10 for five 1GB cards.

the other solution, a quite reasonable USB 2.0 SD card reader can be had for £1 at the pound shop.

Now I want ask where can I get cheap, basic (probably not very marvellous) SD cards? I'd pay a more for a "good" supplier which doesn't need endless chasing up or expensive phone calls or is only available via eBay.

Thank you.

Reply to
Matt H R

what size SD card?

Reply to
Raj Kundra

In message , Matt H R writes

No, but since you can buy CD's from SVP for example for about the equivalent of 9p each (inc a slim line jewel case)

Can't see a USB stick or SD card beating that

Reply to
Chris French

Aren't DVDs disc about 12 p. But then your friends carnt ignore you data wipe the card and put it to a useful use.

--

Trev Nobody is perfect. But Being a Yorkshire man is as close as you can get.

Reply to
Trev

I mean the standard SD card.

Not the mini SD or the micro SD.

Reply to
Matt H R

Nor can I.

However, I'm looking for a solution based on flash memory rather than CDs.

Reply to
Matt H R

In message , Matt H R writes

Try 7 day shop

geoff

Fair enough, but that wasn't what you seemed to be saying in your original post - "I want to see if it is cheaper..."

Reply to
chris French

has a 128MB for 2.08+VAT
on the sizes, looking for a job lot of 64MB/etc on eBay may be cheaper... something like this (you can probably do much better):

Theo Markettos

Holy sh*t. I remember buying 2Gb for a Sun server only a few years ago and it costing £30K.

And I gave the server away a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Huge

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I mean to say that rather than consider using a CD my interest was to know if a USB Stick was cheaper than SD Memory (or vice versa).

Reply to
Matt H R

They are all so cheap that your question really should be which is the most convenient to use

and then just go and buy one

Reply to
geoff

Yes, that is one way of doing it. On the other hand, I've chosen not to use CDs in my situation. I want to compare the price of flash memory.

I want to see if it's cheaper to give data to friends on a cheap USB stick or on an SD card plus reader. I was wondering if anyone made this price comparison for the UK.

Reply to
Matt H R

No-one is stopping you! geoff was saying go and buy USB or SD - whichever is more convenient.

Choose a stockist. Look up prices. See which is cheaper.

Hint: Without telling us the size (32MB? 32GB?) and the number of cards (i.e. number of friends times the frequency of sending) we couldn't even have a good guess. And prices on these things change very frequently.

Reply to
Rod

How about loading an FTP server onto your home machine and letting friends download the data?

FileZilla server and client are free and a doddle to use.

regards, Ian

Reply to
Ian Smith