OT Searching for negative comments

Hi

Anyone know how to Google for negative comments about a product, service or organisation?

For example if I searched for DeWalt I would get dozens of companies selling DeWalt, and even more of those annoying shopping sites claiming to compare DeWalt.

But what if I want to search for pages that expose problems or failings?

Don't have any complaints re DeWalt, just an example.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You could try putting

DeWalt failed poor

for example into the google search box. (add your own negative words to the list)

(Apologies to DeWalt, obviously...)

Reply to
Bioboffin

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Often adding the word 'review' reveals some comments, although one does sometimes wonder if these arer spoilers from competitors.

If it's tool manufacturers then the reviews in the U.S. magazine Fine Woodworking and others published by Taunton Press are good, especially their annual surveys. They have editorial panels but also solicit input from users and readers in a fairly methodical way.

Typically you won't find material saying that a manufacturer is bad in general, but it's often possible to spot a pattern in a tool type where a manufacturer who does well elsewhere scores consistently low, basically because he doesn't have good designs for that type.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just try adding "problems" to the end of the search criteria

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I find putting this in the top line of a Google search gets the sort of hits you'd be looking for:

"dewalt review" (problem|failed|poor|bad|difficult)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Doing a google groups search on a specific model number can help, since that gets you relevant comments without the shopping aggregator sites. As someone else said, adding "review" can help. Here some of the shooping sites can help. Also search Amazon in the UK and the US. That can give you access to more reviews.

Reply to
John Rumm