OT - Screwfix 'faster' delivery.

Ordered from Screwfix on Tuesday (my nice new drill) and paid £5 for delivery before 12:00. £5 is about the cost of me driving to the nearest Screwfix Direct and back. Turned up about 09:30 via Royal Mail.

Ordered a rag bag of other stuff yesterday (grumbling that I'd forgotten to order them on Tuesday) and just had the free 'fast' delivery. I kept the order running during the day, adding bits and pieces as I remembered them, and finally submitted the order at about 17:30.

Turned up around 09:30 via Royal Mail.

So subject to further investigation I'm not sure what the £5 extra on the delivery charge actually gets me. It may be that I am well situated so that the standard delivery always gets here first thing.

Oh, and first submitted my order Wednesday morning then realised I needed more stuff (I broke a drill bit and needed a replacement) and I then realised that unlike Amazon and similar you can't add to an order or cancel an order on line. A very helpful support person managed to block the order out of the system for me and said that he thought they might be due for a software upgrade sometime soon to allow more flexibility with the ordering. Allegedly their in house system is more flexible but the web based system is older software. All rumour, but it would be a big step forward.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

If I place my order early in the day, it usually comes DHL about 8am - to rural Norfolk - because the DHL driver's sister used to live next door!

If I place it later, or pick Saturday delivery, arrives Parcelforce usually about 3-4pm.

I wish there was a "choose carrier" option.

In fact given that some carriers have the nearest local office over 40 miles away, and are singularly crap at finding my easy-to-find house - I would avoid suppliers locked to those carriers entirely.

Reply to
dom

I've tried getting them to avoid parcelfarce, and really they wont do it consistently.

NT

Reply to
NT

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Parcelforce actually made a profit in the last financial year - that's the first time since it was established in 1990.

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
Appelation Controlee