OT School reunions

Interesting, innit?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Of course, "success" is not a simple concept. What is the measure? Not just financial, surely.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

True. But I was thinking of a different group. The kind that were arrogant, good at sport and won all the prizes. One I can think of was chucked out of uni and sacked from their first "proper" job, shortly after winning "employee of the year"!

Reply to
Mark

In message , Mark writes

A certain amount of arrogance and a good physical physique are often factors that impress potential employers (although maybe they don't realise it at the time).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

At my school, there were very few who were good at sport and won all the prizes. Apart from sport prizes, obviously. The majority of the 'jocks' were nowhere near the top of the academic stream. Just as well too, as they'd have been even more insufferable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I went back to my school (sort of).

In the sixties, The local Grammar school was very oversubscribed, so they built another school a mile away and moved all the boys to that one. I attended from the late seventies, but shortly after I left, they extended the original (at that time girls' school), moved the boys back there and demolished the newer one - well what else could you do with it? It won design awards when it was built in the sixties, which tells you all you need to know!

Once it had been demolished, they built a housing estate there. Some detached, some semis and some that looked like semis, but were actually two downstairs flats and a double sized one upstairs. As my grandmother became older and suffered more illness, she sold her house and with help from the family bought one of the flats to be near us all. Hence me "sort of" visiting my old school!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The frightening thing is that I have an extremely poor memory for faces and wouldn't recognise most of my ex classmates - I have enough difficulty learning who's who at work! I certainly don't get it from my mother, she's 70 and last year she went to a re-union at her infant school - and she actually recognised one of her classmates that she hasn't seen since they left!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

How else do you choose a secretary?

Reply to
stuart noble

Huh, I always remember seeing lots responding with "me too", rather than "I agree" (but yes, the majority of them were AOLers).

I think this is the first time I've seen someone respond with AOL in reference to that, though. Maybe I need to get out less, or something ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

LOL, thought it was something like that, but couldn't resist making a quip.

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Rings a bell.

A couple of years ago I went back to the village in Scotland where I first went to school years ago. The old Victorian school building had obviously reached it sell-by date, and had been demolished and is now a housing estate - only the headmaster's house survives. Scarily the new school has also been demolished, and a third one built in its place.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ