OT - saw my first solar farm

An enormous array of solar panels in a field.

Around 52.352486,1.473284 although Google Maps still shows just a field.

I was a little surprised as it is in pretty good farm land and I thought they weren't supposed to use that.

Still, money talks.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

There's one being completed a few miles from us, a mile or so SE of Hayle in West Cornwall. It's roughly at the junction of Wheal Alfred Road and Drannack Mill Lane, Google Maps 50.177, -5.388. A south-facing slope, perfectly good farmland AFAIK. Google Maps shows the field being harvested for hay, with no sign yet of the solar panels.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Obviously more profitable milking the population...

Reply to
Richard

What is currently claimed to be the UKs largest solar farm has been built close to me. It seems to be a particularly suitable location.

Even CPRE like it:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Maybe its a solar panel test field.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Now we know where to rehome the badgers then.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Don't you need sun for them? At least they don't make a noise and kill birds.

Reply to
Matty F

Simply untrue. Unless you are suggesting that the local planning authority has taken a bribe. In any case it is not particularly good farm land being classified as grade 3 and the complete installation has to be removed after 25 years and the site restored to the original state.

The actual planning application is here.

Peter Crosland

Oh dear, look this is Usenet, you are not supposed to provide verifiable facts in an argument! :) :) :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Are you that naive?

Of course theytake the (equivalent) of bribes.

And openly admit it.

" we could oppose tescos development, but they would take it to appeal, get a load pof laweyers in, cost te local taxpayer a firtune, and porobab;y win, because we cant afford the lawyers theyand experts they can. Omn the orther hand, they have promised to ugraded teh road to that area so that saves us money"

"the word has come down from CPHQ that we have to let the windmills get built, so the whip is out: you will pass this ill advised application nod sagely at the outrageous and false claims made for its justification, if you want to have any hope of staying in the consrevative party, and theres a nice little sinecure as chairman of the local renewable energy committee for you if you do."

Hell Tim yeo even admitted it.

In any case it is not particularly good

manambly at taxpayer expense since the company hwo built it will long have vansihed by then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing like a few facts to confuse the issue!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Correct!

Also grade 3 land ought to grow Wheat OK but perhaps not Leeks and Brussel Sprouts:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Nothing like trimming posts to f*ck up context. FYI, my contribution to this thread was the sarcastic: Obviously more profitable milking the population...

I accept your apology in advance to save you trimming and screwing up context again.

Reply to
Richard

You really should not lead with your chin. Your poor command of English is only exceeded by your inability construct a logical argument to support your point of view. A classic case of not doing some trivially easy research to see if your argument had any merit.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The point the previous poster was unsuccessfully trying to make was that there was a complete prohibition on using agricultural land which of course there is not. The other point that is often missed is that the permissions are conditional on the land being returned to the orginal use after a period of time usually 25 years by which time the panels will be at the end of the useful life. Of course it might htne be subject to another application to install whatever technology is then available, but this is not a foregone conclusion.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yes.

The thought has crossed my mind for here. I have South facing *hot* land and a conveniently placed 11kV distributor feed. However, there are also lots of well used public rights of way and, at less than a mile from the centre of a large village, lots of small boys:-)

There is the opprobrium of joining Harry to consider as well. I think I'll just go on taking the CAP payments to pad out my pension:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sorry. I didn't realise that you were a humourless [insert preferred label].

Reply to
Richard

Nothing to do with humour when all you can come up with is offensive language. Resorting to insults just proves the point that you have no rationl argument.

Reply to
Peter Crosland