OT -Save upto 50% on fuel costs - snake oil

I think you are right there, and this is briefly mentioned towards the end of the article:

"Nick Collings of Cambridge University, has studied the claims made for the devices and concluded that they cannot work. In fact he says they make cars on average 2% less efficient."

Indeed, 2% is probably within the margin of error of the experiment.

Reply to
Gareth

I'll repeat what I said:

Read

'll refer you especially to section 4, paragraph 2, sentence 1.

That was news to me. However, it seems the Harrier only needs water injection when "hot and heavy" to keep the EGT under control under high power settings. Lightly loaded and/or lower temperatures and it can hover without it until the fuel runs out. Which ties up with the many times I've watched them for far longer than 90 seconds.

There are lots of references about, not just Wiki, to the effect of water injection on piston engines at high power settings. Sure many of them are talking about modified engines - but the same people who fit water injection are likely to be the people who fit high-lift cams, special turbos, aftermarket ECUs, intercoolers...

Oh hang on. Intercoolers are standard now.

A Jumo is hardly a modified engine.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

But Dennis was in such a rush to make his point he missed the link I gave him.

Dennis is called a Fuck Stick for a reason.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You must be reading something else to what I am. It makes no reference to increasing engine power by injecting water in the section about automobiles. It states that they may benefit but doesn't say how they benefit other than suggesting it prevents premature detonation which doesn't mean it will be able to generate more power from ordinary petrol.

Reply to
dennis

Aircraft engines.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Nah, because the Tibetan masters of the universe hold the patents and the illuminati enforce it

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Those bastards! They were the ones who bought up all the patents and killed the inventors of the water-fueled cars in the 50s. I read it on the Interweb thingy, so it's true.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon