OT: Satellite broadband

£200 a month

IME not too bad. Seemed like about 3-4Mbps on the set up I used once in Mexico. Usable fiore brwosing if you waitred te odd secind for the latency.

Almost nonexistent :-)

VERY

indeed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+10
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One site I have experience of could only mange a 58k modem. ADSL simply wouldn't synch at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, not on the setup I had use of in mexico. (2 meter dish marked RCA on hotel roof)

No phone line existed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try telling that to the people down in the village a mile and half further away from the exchange than us. 1 Mbps and they think Christmas has come early.

I expect that to be the case for the places further up the valley from the village. Still the village is getting FTTC so they will be up to about 40 Mbps (the cabinet is 700 odd m exchange side of the village center) and those 2 or 3 km up the valley ought to be around

10 Mbps.

No flippin use for us though as we are 1 1/2 miles exchange side of the cabinet so our line goes no where near it. There is a cabinet at the exchnage but thats over 3 km away and VDSL has dropped to ADSL speeds by then. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you describe where it is you are moving to it is possible for a local expert to look up what capabilities are available there.

Netflix could easily be marginal to non-existent on rural broadband.

There are local microwave based links in various rural communities NYNet in North Yorkshire run several with coverage theoretically where I live but in practice the requirement for strict line of sight prevents me from getting it. It piggy backs onto schools broadband.

I could use 3G with an external aerial here (and I do as a backup when my fixed line is down). Data charges sting a bit on 3G typically ~£3-4/GB depending on whose you use. The 3G is faster than fixed line.

Satellite tends to have terrible latency and these days is a solution of last resort. Most rural lines can support at least ~1Mbps. There are a few dead spots where 256k is pushing it on corroded old aluminium.

Ballpark you need streaming at >1.5M for basic TV and ~4M for HDTV.

It will be in Gawsworth in East Cheshire (SK11)

Reply to
Endulini

Feed your full postcode into this URL and cross your fingers:

Or the actual phone number into

Martin Brown

I would be thrilled if I could get that speed. Fibre was installed along the north coast last year, but it passed us by. The next village has it, though.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I have been lurking watching this thread..... Was waiting to see if anyone offers an obvious solution..... No one has so I will now suggest a solution .

There are websites online for t-mobile, orange, O2, Vodafone and three that indicate where the mobile phone masts are. Furthermore they will say if th ey are enabled for 4G.

Why 4G? Well consider that they operate in the lowest frequency band possib le for mobile internet, that being 800MHz to 860MHz this means that a group C/D aerial with high gain could be put on an external pole outside where y ou would normally put a TV aerial. Examples include triax 52c/d or a triax Unix 100 C/D. The propagation and reception of 800 to 860 MHz will be easier than for the other frequencies that mobile phones use. With a high gain directional are a reception outside of the intended service area of the mast is possible.

Align it and point it to a 4G enabled mobile phone mast.

Run some Ct100 coax down to a 4G modem that has an Ethernet output. Remove the tiddly whip aerial which will be on an mcx connector. Put a mcx connect or on the end of the ct100 cable and connect that to the 4G modem/router.. Stick a data SIM card into the modem. Feed that into an Ethernet switch and connect all your computers to that.

3 have some of the best data plans around and so do the virtual mobile netw ork operators.

For instance Virgin mobile piggyback onto everything everywhere which is a consortium of orange and t-mobile. I have an unlimited data plan with them for just 12 quid a month.

Tesco and giff gaff piggy back on O2

Example 4G router/modems include:

Tplink often do similar equipment so googling should be productive.

Reply to
stephenten

Pretty sure I mentioned 3G/4G with a caveat on it costing an arm and a leg for enough data for a decent amount of video streaming. That is

100 to 200 GB/month.

Everything Everywhere started with Orange and T-Mobile merging but now the brand, company and infrastructure is EE. Whoever thought of the name "Everything Everywhere" didn't think it through to the extermely obvious "Nothing Anywhere", EE still use Everything EveryWhere but it's quietly being dropped...

How "unlimited" is that in reality? What is in the AUP? If you hammer it do they traffic shape or otherwise restrict your throughput?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the answer is almost certainly no in remote rural areas. All but one carrier round here is 2G or 2.5G and I am not all that remote. You don't have to go far from where I live to be in a dead spot with zero mobile phone coverage on any network. This is an all too common problem.

Which may well be upwards of 30 miles away and through several hills. It might work if you have a decent line of sight (but then so will various local rural microwave link based initiatives).

Indeed and I did suggest it as a possible solution provided that there is at least 3G coverage. Basically away from major cities you are very unlikely to find a 4G node installed. Apart from Three with UMTS they are all basic GSM or if you are lucky GPRS or EDGE. The Ofcom map that is supposed to show locations of masts is also hopelessly out of date :(

Which where I live their GPRS would give a massive 28kbps datarate iff the signal was strong enough to sustain a stable link (it isn't).

No signal at all here. I used to be on O2 until they rationalised their network a few years back. Now I have Three and my wife has EE. It is unusual to lose both phone signals at once (although not impossible).

A 4G router is only really any good if there is a 4G signal for it to receive and that is extremely unlikely unless you live somewhere very flat and fairly near a major conurbation.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Indeed, we are not at all remote. we have 3G reception from 3, but it is patchy, all other networks are 2/2.5G or non existent (theoretically 3G in the village from some other operators, but I've never had it. I don't imagine we will see 4G anytime soon.

Yup, There are no doubt a few situations where people ahve 4G and poor fixed line broadband, but most areas with 4G will probably have reasonable fixed line broadband at least

Reply to
Chris French

Yep, daft innit. Ofcom ought to insist that 4G is only licencable for areas that only have one provider of Superfast Broadband (>24 Mbps) or no Superfast at all. 4G is after all supposed to be for wide area point to multi point coverage.

We have "3G+" here on EE but it's not very reliable, signal is too weak on a phone inside. Go 10 yards down the road and the signal disappears completly, I've never bothered looking at my phone in the village as I don't expect there to be a signal. Certainly people drive up to us park up and make phone calls...

For static internet access the weak signal could be sorted with an external aerial at eaves level as that would be only be about 7 miles line of sight to the transmitter. Or maybe even a dongle in a weatherproof box ouside on a USB extension from a TP-Link MR3020 or similar in the loft.

Still doesn't solve the probable tarrif problem of 100 GB/month.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On the THREE £25 sim, you get unlimited data, even on 4G. I'm using that sim package.

Reply to
Bod

EE are soon to become BT Mobile (or whatever name they are going to give it).

Reply to
JoeJoe

Aye, just needs approval to go through. A snip at £12,500 million.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Three is the weakest of the networks here. A network scan sometimes doesnt find it.

Define "unlimited". To me that means downloading and uploading flat out 24/7 but I very much doubt that is what the contract allows.

What is in the Acceptable Use Policy? Can you stream say 3 hours of decent bit rate (around 10 Mbps) video without getting slowed down or traffic shaped?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On 3 the unlimited data only applies to phone useage, AIUI from people who use it, it is unlimited in terms of amount of data, going by what a couple of people I know says, though there is some sort of traffic a management applies ('traffic sense' they call it) and I suspect hammering it endlessy would get you in breach of some condition or other as it's designed for phone use.

But using the phone as a hotspot isn't unlimited, a separate limit aplies to that. And none of their mobile broadband products seem to be unlimited

Reply to
Chris French

Tethering on unlimited contract permits 4GB/month traffic to other devices. Not sure what happens if you overstep the mark on this.

It baulks at running at all in a non-phone. They do data contracts for other devices and do check the credentials of the device using a SIM.

If you want truly unlimited then you have to swap PAYG SIMs on the best introductory deals you can find which last time I looked were 3 3GB/90d for £21 or Orange 6GB/90d for £18 (the latter no use to me EE is 2.5G). If you renew monthly then you pay £10/GB for 30d timeout.

Prices vary significantly so buy them when they are on special offer. They have been as low as £3/GB in the past year.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'm not sure how they can tell if data is coming from a tethered device or from the device but they do appear to be able to.

Hum, that half answers a question I was about to ask. Can you shove an activated "phone" SIM into a USB "data" dongle and get the same data as you have on the phone? And have that dongle shoved into a router and thus a LAN?

About to get a new phone deal and having some data availabe (as ADSL backup) in a dongle+router is something I'm thinking about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice