OT Sat Nav

Er Dave, more moving parts does not mean more frictional power loss. Because by deinition other things aint equal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am not actually clear that that gives a fuel advantage.

Fuel efficiency, especially on petrol cars is weird.

You may do better in some ways to accelerate and coast, rather than maintain a steady speed, if the engine is more fuel efficient at higher power.

Diesels are at their most efficient at modest throttles.

I am not sure how a nun drives...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes this is diesel, if you leave it on cruise approaching a hill it will increase revs so the turbo cuts in or significantly increases, it might even drop a gear, the instantaneous mpg drops from >40 to I am not sure how a nun drives...

Well, I assume they dont't get much pleasure from it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You need to cut out the cruise on the downhill sections. And, generally speaking, having to use the brakes much is a mark of a poor driver IMO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What's a DSG? Or is that what I have in my C4? Clutchless 6-speed semi-auto is the best description I can come up with. But it means I get over 60mpg on a long trip.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably because you've got it wrong.

Section 19 of Schedule 3 of the Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations

2001 states that speedos can over indicate upto 10% + 6.25mph (for all true speeds between 25mph and 70mph). An 11% overread is therefore perfectly legal.

Mathew Newton

Explain what is different in this app. then. You have two layshafts each capable of handling the same torque. Two clutches likewise. If you were spreading the load it would be possible to reduce bearing sizes etc - but they don't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DSG is the trade name for one particular transmission. I dunno what basic patents it has - but at the outset it differed from other robotised synchromesh boxes by having twin layshafts and clutches. So it effectively pre-selects a gear and then achieves the change via the clutches.

A semi-auto usually means you *have* to change gears yourself. DSG boxes allow you to do that, or have it do so itself, like any other auto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

According to the instructor at a winter driving school, where both vehicles were in use, the CofG of a Range Rover is somewhat lower than that of a BMW Series 7.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That would be quite an achievement given the RR has much more ground clearance. Nor is there much in the way of weight saving on it - the BMW makes extensive use of aluminium.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ask Richard Branson, or the tit who rolled one a few hundred metres in front of me on the Route Napoleon.

And was the instructor referring to the new improved Rangie, or the original without air suspension?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I wouldn't say that that to Lewis Hamilton, if I were you..

Its the mark of a driver who is more concerned about fuel economy than safety or irritating other people, or getting there quickly, but is that a 'good driver'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Alan Braggins

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Well, I tried.....

Something in the low 90's at 1900rpm, 3rd.

Something in the low 90's at 1350rpm, 4th.

The distance travelled without giving apoplexy to other drivers was too short for a proper test.

At least I got my router cutter. Next time I make window frames I am going to remember to do the rebate first:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It was whatever was brand new 12 years ago. Land Rover were supplying them for us to slide sideways off wet and slippy plastic onto grippy tarmac, while BMW were doing much the same on another part of the course, which is when the comment was made.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

OK - then my description was wrong. I can change gear with the paddles when it's in auto mode, or let it do it itself. Or I can shove the stick over to the manual section and then it's manual only and changes when I shove the stick back or forward.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The problem doing rebates first is it can make your M&T joints look far more complicated with unequal shoulders etc ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Umm, the BMW 7-series are failed luxo-barges. Although I'm aware that BMW do tend to prefer them for driver training, particularly in situations where the car may be pranged, I'm not sure from what you say if the car referred to was a 7 since it's not a natural equivalent to a Rangie.

Anyway, FWIW, the instructor was talking crap.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes. But at least you realise it is necessary instead of blundering along. Actually the tops have a 15deg. corner slope so probably beyond my jointing capabilities anyway.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It wasn't supposed to be an equivalent. There just happened to be two different manufacturers using the same training facilities at the same time.

He was adamant, despite several Land Rover owners questioning the statement. Certainly none of us managed to roll one, despite numerous sudden stops to a sideways drift.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar