OT Salting the road

Page 3 of 3
The Natural Philosopher wrote

We did - read my post last night 21:10 29/01/04 above
Parish wrote:

Pack ice??? I don't believe it. I can, however, sypmathise when it comes to many people's poor driving these days, and also when it comes to their absolute lack of preparation. As you say, there was plenty of warning - but many drivers took NO heed!

Q.E.D.
J.B.
Jerry Built wrote:
I can, however, sypmathise when it

Tell me about it. On thursday I was able to make good speed on snow covered roads. Yesrday I got held up by someone who had dared venture out onto slush, and was doing 10 mph were I had gaily been able to do 30 the day before. No chance of overtaking since she sat in the middle of the road the whole way..

Thameslink Trains (Bedford to Brighton right through Lunnon) obviously heard the 5-day forecast last Weekend and put up posters telling people that there could be 'trouble' and helpfully reminded us that the well- known problem of the 'wrong sort of snow getting into the traction motors' was being addressed. They have been addressing that problem since Feb 1991 when it first became obvious.
--
Andrew

[30 lines snipped]

But not for much longer.

The website was advising people not to travel on Thursday. So I took their advice.
Jerry Built wrote

What do you call it then? It's packed snow turned to sheet ice. The whole road was a skating rink. This is the story in the local paper yesterday - the picture, taken 1 hours after my original post on Thursday morning, is about 500m from here, on the opposite slope. Many of the vehicles visible were abandoned the night before
http://tinyurl.com/28yz7

That is so true, but conditions here were truly treacherous and I can forgive a lot of the cautiousness. Without the congestion there would probably have been much more serious accidents and injuries. I do think this was a special case - two steep hills on a major road, a danger spot at the best of times, left totally without protection from ice and snow. Today we've got gales and heavy rain washing away all the filthy salt that was eventually put down too late. :o) Roll on Spring!
Peter
Peter Taylor wrote:

"....see today's Bucks Free Press, priced 40p"