OT - SAFETYWEAR-R-US?

I am booked to go on a ladder safety training course next week and have just had a note through from the training company to say that I will need to bring Steel Toe Boots, Hi Vis vest and a hard hat (All the ladder work i'll be doing for work will be at relatively low heights and indoors!)

Anyways, does anyone know of any national chains where I can go and buy this stuff over the counter. I have a feeling Screwfix trade counter might be the way to go, but thought i'd ask here.

Reply to
cpvh

snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk coughed up some electrons that declared:

Wickes havea lot of workwear, as do B&Q.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

You could try

they have trade counters all over the place.

Here is a link to their branch locator

Toby

When I asked about toe-tecs some time back, several people recommended Asda. I headed to an Asda, but before I got there, I noticed a regular shoe shop had them. Mine look like pretty ordinary trainers with ankle support, but come with the certificate of testing for crushing (1 or 2 tonnes, IIRC) and sole puncture protection. I was told I'd have to show this, but in the event no one asked to see it.

Hi-vis vests available for well under a fiver from a stall in most markets. Even ones in the form of good padded waterproof coats are only about £10, although you won't want that type at this time of year.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had an old wooden ladder break under me recently )-:

Hat and vest would not have helped me at all. I crashed through the ladder onto a wooden block, then directly down onto my bum!

Not sure what the different might have been if I had been wearing boots rather than slippers...

was about 6 weeks ago and the foots still sore at times )-:

Good luck on the course! I was just looking at a hanging basket bracket...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Any builders' merchant will have them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

They do all you need, but try

very good if you have a branch nearby.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

To add to the others, Makro do loads of HiVis stuff.

Also when buying Steel Toe shoes etc, but a size larger than you usually have, and wear thicker socks. Otherwise the restricted toe movment can soon become uncomfortable.

Reply to
John Rumm

I get my steel cap boots from Toolstation.

Reply to
YAPH

Any BM should have it all - the local Travis Perkins does. But not necessarily at the best price. The hat goggles and Hi-Vis should be cheap enough - but the footware varies enormously in cost, and can be pretty expensive. Worth checking out a large ASDA, Tesco or Sainsbury - they sometimes have them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh _that's_ why the contractor gave me a look when I borrowed his ladder for a moment to re-plug the access point in the false ceiling!

I was a good three feet up...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Hi viz vests are a pound each at our local car boot sale site. Safety boots I get from ARCO

Reply to
cynic

Does this coarse include ladder inspection for fit to use?

I had a small job at a primary school about 3 years ago and I could inspect the aluminiun ladders no problem, due to my experience in the aerospace industry, but the wooden one, I was never sure about, so I didn't use it unless I *really* had to.

Ladder examination should form a large part of this coarse.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Best, IMHO, are wood ones with aluminium rungs. Have the right amount of 'bounce' without the danger of rungs breaking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, the course is =A385 without this module, and =A3120 with and we've gone for the =A3120 version.

We have a number of nice shiny Alu ladders around the site, but the facilities dept have locked them all up and said we can't use them as we're not trained. When I asked last week if we could have a key once we are trained, they pointed out that they are actualy part of a different limited co and they have asked the powers that be about the liability issues, but nobody has given them a descision. We could wind up having to have 2 sets of ladders in each location! My brain hurts :=3D((

Reply to
cpvh

snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk coughed up some electrons that declared:

I agree that school leavers and people who come from different career backgrounds definitely should get formal H&S training on certain issues but why does no one run a Common Sense course for duh mannigmunt?

Reply to
Tim S

I was watching the fitters putting up replacement plastic fascias and soffits on a couple of houses near me last week. It seems that, now doing such work from a ladder is not acceptable, they are provided with a simple platform. This consists of a flat work area simply butted up against the wall, held in place by friction and a pair of legs angled outwards.

It looked as if the platform had sockets for handrails, but none were in use. The guy was standing up working on the gable end with absolutely nothing to stop him from falling.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Chris J Dixon coughed up some electrons that declared:

Typical "follow the policy in a half arsed way and miss the point in a fully arsed way".

In the real world, self employed windows fitters shinny up ladders (our landlord's did exactly that only last year) carrying 5-6m lengths of plastic board. I suspect the thought of being unable to work for 3 months (whatever) with a broken bone helps them to ensure appropriate safety measures for the job (eg tying the ladder) are followed.

Window cleaners are still seem on ladders round here - but more than likely all one man businesses.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Our local window cleaner hates our house - does it with mops, etc. on long poles early in the mornings when no traffic is about. The house is right on a bend with a tiny bit of pavement..

And we currently have it covered in scaffolding - repaining to walls and general TLC on the gutters, fascia boards, etc. We know the last person who did it was on a long ladder (needs a 3-section one to get anywhere close) and it was a bit of a cover-up job )-:

't really give you much idea of height, but double-decker busses go under it with a few feet to clear.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

This seems to be a bit of EU regs which, for once, someone else did more "gold plating" than us. In Holland, apparently, window cleaners are no longer allowed to use ladders at all, and have to use things like scissor lifts and cherry pickers, making the task no longer economic for domestic customers.

Did you need some sort of council application to put that up?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel