OT - Robberies

Yes. What reasonable person being threatened by someone who they suspect has their hand on a gun wouldn't feel under extreme threat?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I was. It was the same safe. All the tins were numbered, with signed slips in each one. Each number went on the master cash sheet, together with the amount in that tin (done whenever there was too much in the till). At the end of the shift, the residue (less the float) went into a final tin.

It was then possible to cash up 'on paper' using the master sheet (which also contained pump readings, ad hoc sales etc.)

Eventually (during daylight hours, with plenty of people around) the safe would be emptied and the amounts in the tins checked against each master sheet, before being banked. That was a time of maximum exposure, of course, but done at a ramdom time each day. To be honest, the weak point was when the manager and another staff member drove to the bank!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is that the right test? Surely a person known to be unreasonable, most especially if they have some issue which could cause them to suffer excessive fear, would be considered in that light.

Reply to
polygonum

So will the worker. Plot 9 in the local cemetery with a really nice gravestone paid for by public subscription - after he is murdered in prison, where he is serving a long sentence for GBH, by people who sympathise with the original robber.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The question would be is it reasonable to think that somebody with their hand in their pocket had a gun? I would say not, as it would be far more intimidating if it were actually visible.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If they could produce a psychiatric report that supported that claim, it certainly could be offered as a defence. Whether it would be a successful defence would be up to the jury, which is a fickle body. In the absence of such evidence, the law assumes that people are normal and reasonable in their responses.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

There are so many implausible bits in that, I don't know where to start. So I won't.

There aren't armed MPs bimbling around the streets.

If they'd want to nick someone and think shooters are called for, they'd get the civilian police to do the job.

Reply to
Onetap