OT Road tax for 2 days

Probably time I apologised for starting an OT subject. I did however have no idea it would lead to the old MoT/unroadworthiness/insurance discussion. I suppose I could get out my angle grinder and take it to the dealer in pieces, stick it back together with body filler and the WD40 must come in somewhere. Will probably get the dealer to sign for the car on the 28th so it is no longer my car when the tax is due. Hoping the same dealer will collect our other car for service on the 2nd and give me a lift to pick up the new one.

Reply to
Invisible Man

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Dennis, you've missed it, again.

The poster didn't actually say his old MoT had run out, did he? You can get a vehicle MoTd as often as you like.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The law is an ass :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

There is also documented proof that it was un-roadworthy when you left the MOT station. Mine failed last year.. faulty headlight.. it went during the beam alignment test. 8-( Fist time I have ever failed an MOT and I must have had 50+ of them.

Reply to
dennis

Its still an un-roadworthy car if it fails, or did you miss that?

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It'd be unroadworthy even without taking it to the test centre.

Reply to
Adrian

there on

station

Many many years ago I was 'done' for no MOT on my Frog Eyed Sprite, as although I was on the way to a pre-booked MOT I stopped at a 'hole in the wall' to get cash to pay for the MOT! Apparently you have to go 'directly' to the garage.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

maybe look for another dealer if he *can't* help a regular customer on this trifling issue !?!

Reply to
JimK

shurely they'll be after the buyer/garage rather than OP/seller?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Is it? That would mean that if the car fails the MoT but has an unexpired existing MoT it still cannot be driven on theroad. I thougth there were two grades of fail for the MoT and only the more serious one meant you could not drive it away.

In the old days there was a special red failure certificate for "unsafe to drive on the road".

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

No, it's not necessarily. You ought to learn the difference between 'unroadworthy' and 'MoT failure'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A loan of some trade plates?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only if they want their trade plates withdrawing.

Reply to
Adrian

Suggest you look at the response from VOSA on

Man at B&Q

But that doesn't explain the situation where the failure does not make the car unroadworthy. If the tyres are illegal then it clearly is unroadworthy as well as being an MOT failure.

But what if it fails because a headlamp bulb has blown and you would be driving home in daylight and good visibility?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Andrew May gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed.

Perhaps an even clearer example - the windscreen on my car is currently cracked, following a stonechip the other weekend. The crack is into the wiper swept area by just over 40mm. It is, therefore, an MOT fail. It's barely visible to the driver, as it's behind the mirror. It contributes nothing to the structural strength of the car, as it's an older-style gasket-mount windscreen, not bonded.

Is the car unroadworthy?

If I took it for an MOT this afternoon, and it failed, would it be unroadworthy afterwards?

Reply to
Adrian

Ouch! The stewards.

Reply to
Clot

I thought he was driving a bus?

aha: "I did this for many years when I lived in a bus"

Can we spell bus, Dennis? Can we? b - u - s

Reply to
Jules

And if it starts to rain and you need to use your headlights?

Its still an offence and because you have a fail notice you won't get away with saying it must have just failed and may not be given the opportunity to fix it before they issue a summons.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Weather forecasts aside, the headlight isn't the greatest example - so how about my windscreen?

Reply to
Adrian