OT: road building regs

On 03/03/2015 14:42, Capitol wrote: ..

If I've understood that correctly, I've seen it abroad (possibly Spain) as a fairly standard junction between a major road and a minor road, but with give way signs rather than traffic lights and, of course, circulating in the opposite direction.

Reply to
Nightjar

Is it a bit like this location, though here only one carriageway goes right through the middle?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes, it's a bit like it but more compact.

Reply to
Capitol

This one...

Mike Barnes

... escaped before I could go on to say that it insists on you going round the roundabout when turning right off the through road, but not when turning right onto it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes, almost identical, but more compact. I wondered where they got the stupid idea from!

Reply to
Capitol

But turning right onto it means that you have a sharper turn and have to decide which of the available right turns you want to take in order to be in the correct lane of the dual carriageway.

Reply to
Capitol

Yes but you don't have to. Anyone averse to sharp turns could carry on another 180 degrees round the roundabout.

I thought the point about the OP's junction was that you *had* to go the long way round whether you wanted to or not. That's not so when joining the main road at the junction I posted the link to.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That was the first we encountered on moving to Manchester. It was a very al ien layout for us ex-londoners, but they're quite common around here. Once you're used to them they work well, I think. Certainly a cheaper and less o btrusive option than flyovers that would be the alternative way of doing su ch busy junctions. The extreme example is at Old Trafford:

Which has several extra roads feeding in, and crosses the railway and canal for good measure.

Reply to
jfflkjflkjflkdfj

I'm glad it wasn't like that in the 60s when it was the daily run to college in Salford on my Honda 50.

Wasn't Cross Lane supposed to be the road with the most pubs per mile?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon