OT Rise of the suits.

There is no cure. Remember the proverb about taking horses to water? These people were failures from the time they decided to bunk off school or not do their homework. I expect at the time they thought it was boring or "cool". Well now they pay the price. I don't give a toss about them. Poverty in this country is self inflicted.

Consequenses of actions. Too thick to see it.

Reply to
harryagain

Physically handicapped? Mentally handicapped? Those injured through no fault of their own? Damages are not always recoverable. Those abandoned by partners? Victims of poor parenting?

The list is endless

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Therefore the corollary must be true - anyone who does well at school etc will automatically have a successful career?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really?

Reply to
Huge

The list is as long as your budget will allow, so the last two are hardly going to be a priority in the current climate.

Reply to
stuart noble

No, he's extremely hard working and a well regarded tradesman who has built his own business. I take it that you're a stupid gobshite? No need to reply, your posts provide all the evidence anyone needs.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The eternal problem. How do you ensure that the children of the feckless get enough to eat to be healthy and enough encouragement not to follow in their parents footsteps.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

The problem with such a scheme is that there is no incentive to cut costs.

they just hire an extra couple of 100 managers at 100K each to wipe up the excess profit

tim

Reply to
tim....

What we actually did, as a nationalised industry, was to cut tariffs if the profit looked like going too high. The Treasury took a very close interest in how we spent the public's money.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Feeding them is no problem, but only the parents can provide encouragement. Not a job the state is remotely equipped for.

Reply to
stuart noble

Which takes us back to charities?

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Aha you mean the idle. They are only idle becaused they are financed to be idle. If there was no charity, then they would be forced to work & not be feckless. Also known as entitlement culture. They exist because they have a vote. The Labour gov knows the will vote for them whilst they get money.

Reply to
harryagain

I think they have a much better chance, don''t you? Especially these days. And things are just going to get worse in the employment field. All thanks to Bliar/Brown &co.

Reply to
harryagain

On your rowing boat (formerly bike):

The Rail Minister Theresa Villiers added to the growing list of ministerial media gaffes this week when she suggested that sacked call-centre workers in Newcastle relocate - to Mumbai.

The way the Conservative are taking this country we will all have to relocate because there will be no country left.

Just as long as the multinational financial institution I did so well in continue to pay my generous RPI linked pension.

OK I was in the fortunate position of being able to work hard and retire in my mid fifties. Plenty of people are at a disadvantage and suffering largely unnecessary cuts due to political dogma while I get 5 percent a year pension increases.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I feel we can expect to see her relocated herself before long, perhaps to Mumbai or Madras. Nice places but a touch hot in summer, we understand.

Would that be a public sector pension?

How can the requirement to cut the nation's borrowing be "dogma"? Or do you think that the deficit doesn't matter or that the shortfall can be made up in other ways?

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, an old non-contributory final salary pension from a multinational insurance company. Scheme was closed a while back and I had to contribute for the last few years. Some years ago it changed to money purchase for new employees and CARE for existing employees. I was just lucky.

I do not believe our predicament was anything like as bad as some would have us believe. We are one of the few AAA rated economies in the world and most of our debt is relatively long term unlike some other countries. Cuts were necessary but not as hard as those being introduced. With no growth and likely recession if the austerity programme continues as it is there is going to be less tax to collect and more benefits to pay out. How does that reduce the debt?

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Seems to me these schemes should have been made illegal years ago. In fact, it should be illegal for any company that is not a pension company to offer pension schemes. All pension schemes should be contributory (with the company putting in if it wants to) and then the payout will depend on what you do with your pot. Immediate end of all "underfunded pension schemes" nonsense. No one has yet explained to me why ordinary companies should be offering pension schemes: hardly their core business is it?

Seems to me that as an honest and fair-minded citizen, you should be starting a pressure group to have your own pension scheme rules modified so you just get RPI, for example.

That's because the markets and the rating agencies believe we have the balls to do something about it. Unlike Greece, where nothing is being done to alter the culture that is and remains the root cause of their problems.

Perhaps it won't, and Captain Darling will be able to say I told you so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

IIRC, it's a long time since any company was allowed to handle its employee's pension pot. Too many temptations.

If a company decides to make pension contributions part of your salary rather than a 'deduction', so what? It's only a book keeping exercise. Although these days it makes sense to make it *look* like the employee is paying direct.

My brother - now retired - taught all his working life. Putting up with the poor pay in the knowledge he'd get a reasonable pension. (Teachers are much better paid these days in proportion) And rightly gets annoyed when some say he hasn't paid for his pension.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Having just got back from a 10 hour profitable day at work I will let harry decide.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Indeed. I was not best pleased at being forced to pay an insurance company to act as a trustee for my small self-managed pension scheme and having to get their approval for every investment I made. As I was the only one who would benefit from the scheme, it was very much in my best interests to make it as profitable as possible. Fortunately, some of my riskiest, and ultimately most profitable, investments were made before they had a say in what I did with the money.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar