ot: Return of the gas-man - or woman

Ot apols but I just wonder what views here on whether it is now worth looking at switching Gas supplier from (Cartel member) Brit. Gas to some other cartel member? (News to day is a 7% increase is on the way from BG).

I never have done this before because (for even more OT reasons) I would only want to change gas supplier and not gas and electric. A few years ago I started to look into this and all the "changers" would only do both. Maybe it's different now.

Reply to
dave

I've always found when one goes up they generally all go up not unless you signed up for one of the "price freeze deals." I've stopped switching as the change over never went smooth and we always ended up having to pay a large amount in a one off payment.

Reply to
RoundSquare

I've had mine with separate provides for some time. Of course you have take the dual fuel discount into account when working out any savings. As has been said, once one make a move , the rest invariably follow, so it may be waiting a couple of months to see what happens, though apparently EDF have said they wont increase until after the winter.

I have changed suppliers many times and never had any problems with it.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

If you wish to keep your existing electricity supplier, you could probably have them supply your gas too. Whoever you get it from, it's the same old gas (I'm sure there's a song in there somewhere) so the only really long term savings will depend on how efficient the administrative office is and their margins - all of which have been cut to the bone in recent years, so the savings one-t'other won't be that significant. The main benefits come from getting a dual-fuel deal and opting for paperless billing. You'll probably be tied into a minimum term contract, so decide carefully.

Apropos topcashback or quidco. They are offering some attractive payments, which sweetens the deal. However, none of the stuff I've bought through quidco (including a gas+elec transfer and car insurance) this year has paid out anything. The energy one "declined" me and none of the others have even tracked, despite follow-ups with quidco. The offers are only good if you actually get the money.

I guess in times of recession, retailers don't want to pay out unnecessarily.

Reply to
pete

In message , dave writes

It's always worth having a check to compare your current tariff, esp as tariffs come and go. Though I think there is a bit less of the use a tariff to get new customers type thing. BG CEO (I think) was on the radio the other day and one of his points was that they want loyal customers who are going to stay for a bit, promiscuous switchers cost them money.

Though once one increase the others will no doubt follow as well.

AFAIK It's always been possible to have just gas or Elec (not everybody has both for starters), though they like to push the dual fuel deals of course. I currently have elec with Bg and gas with Npower, as it worked out cheaper for us to have single fuel tariffs.

I normally check once or twice a year, though haven't switched suppliers for a few years as the tariffs have remained competitive.

I've switched a few times over the years and not really had any problems, once the new supplier got the wrong meter reading on their system somehow, but it was easily sorted.

I usually use Energylinx to check the tariffs, then check likely looking ones with the actual suppliers, the switching sites don't always seem to get it right. If you are still on a standard tariff then there are certainly better deals to be hand

Reply to
chris French

In message , pete writes

Not had any problems with Quidco myself.

Reply to
chris French

As it seems likely from what you say that you are on an old standard tarrif the chances are you will make a significant saving by switching. You don't have to go for a dual fuel tarrif but you do get better rates if you do.

Best deals are normally found by going for a monthly fixed direct debit, paperless billing and online meter readings. For the comparison sites to give meaningful numbers you also need to know how much gas you use, on average, over a year.

The snag now that BG have announced a price rise is that the others are very likely to follow over the next few months and you could switch to a supllier that bumps their prices up rather more. A fixed price fixed term deal might be a shrewd move but remember to check what tarrif you end up on when the term expires now and just before it does.

I've switched electricity without any problems and only keep a vague check on the tarrifs. I simply visit a comparison site or two once a year or so just to check I've not been left behind. There normally are a few fixed term fixed rate deals that are less than a penny/unit cheaper but the hassle of remembering to check before the term ends possibly switching again etc isn't worth the saving.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm sure you have good reasons, but if you're stayed on standard tarifs from legacy gad and electric suppliers, you've possibly thrown thousands of pounds away over the years.

Glad you reminded me to check though. We're with Atlantic (now Southern), which have been the cheapest for us for a long time, but u- switch says no longer! Will have to check properly.

Some of these companies make it intentionally confusing with umpteen different tarifs.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

You're probably doing something wrong regarding cookies - check the info on their sites. I don't think I ever have a problem.

Personally, amongst numerous other smaller payments, quidco have paid me the following GBP this year: EDF (gas/electric transfer) - 60 Vodafone (mobile phone contract) - 70 e2save.com (mobile phone contract - 65 quoteline direct (two insurance policies) - 60

Worth noting that in each case, the deals concerned were the best

*without* considering the cashback: I always regard that as a bonus so if it does fail to track, I'm not losing out.

Quidco etc is a complete no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Dave Liquorice wrote

Also consider that your current supplier may have a much better deal. Too many people don't bother to check new deals and the companies will not tell you that they have something better.

Reply to
Alan

7% over 2.5 years, so only 2.7%, less than my last pay rise.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

In general, dual fuel deals might well be better for most users (though isn't it really down to the bonus you get after so long, rather than better rates a such?), but as ever, not always.

Last few times I've checked it's still been better for us to have separate suppliers. I suspect that because our winter gas consumption is pretty high (gas CH, pretty big Victorian house etc.) a cheaper gas price gas be better than the saving on dual fuel.

Reply to
chris French

Oh look, a wage slave, how quaint

... or have your benefits risen ?