OT Renewables putting strain on electricity grid in Cornwall

See

although I can't imagine you get much of an upgrade in the distribution network for just GBP 4 million.

A topic not often considered when advocating renewable electricity.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Loads of things aren't considered when advocating renewable electricity.

BTW, same problem in Scotland too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It shouldn't be a problem if this year is like last year.

Anyone seen the sun?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes, 2h23m from the solar thermal system today. 2h00m on Sunday despite it being an ice day with a maximum of about -2C.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

It has been mentioned here a few times. It's all very well siting windfarms in remote locations to take best advantage of the prevailing wind, but the greenies conveniently forget the cost of the infrastructure needed to get the juice from that remote location to the Grid.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Andy Champ escribió:

It's been absolutely gorgeous here (Liverpool) the last 2 days. Clear, blue skies and warm sun (if you're sheltered from the biting wind). Tomorrow's forecast is for more of the same :-)

Very odd putting the news on and seeing people stuck for hours in snowdrifts etc.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

And try to insist on them being put underground at even greater cost.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yesterday and today (it's still Tuesday in my mind as I have just got in from work). I never saw it once last week. In fact I set off to work on Monday morning wondering if I was late for work - no headlights needed.for the first time since -dunno - maybe November.

Reply to
ARW

when it mostly is lying idle, because the wind isn't blowing hard.

40bn euros to upgrade Germany's grid..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is why we need microgeneration, ie PV panels on domestic houses. These need no alteration to the grid, reduce transmission losses and take up no valuable agricultural land. Wind turbine are better dispersed. The Germans have them along electric railway lines for example. The existing o/head conductor can transmit the power for miles for no extra cost

Reply to
harry

Today it's like that here. Actually perfect for solar electric panels, they like it cold and sunny.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Even if that generated a significant amount of electricity all it would mean is that an expensive grid you need after dark, when the sun don't shine, even out of your arse, is now being wasted when the sun does come up.

The problem is the distance between the renewable source and whatever takes over when it stops working.

It has to be sized for worst case, but its pretty much costed in average use.

and still require massive subsidies and a CCGT somewhere to actually generate power when its dark.

I guess that's why they are spending 40bn euros to upgrade their grid to cope with renewable energy then.

The list of all the things the Germans have that I want could be fitted onto a small sheet of toilet paper.

Renewable energy is not one one of them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like f**k it doesn't.

I don't see much "valuable agricultural land" adversely affected by the odd pylon.

Requiring yet more grid connections incurring transmission losses and taking up valuable agricultural land.

Not without substantial re-engineering.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes, I can see now you are a complete idiot. eg, What I generate is used by my neighbours, virtually zero losses, No modifications required to the grid. As with all dispersed micro generation.

Reply to
harry

I fell both a challenge and a whole new thread coming on :-)

It is a while since I've been there, but Lidl and Aldi are German IIRC and they produce quite a few technical toys I like.

Oh, and they also produce small sheets of toilet paper :-)

What else?

Berliner Weisse flavoured with raspberry syrup - our one-a-day luxury in Berlin when touring Germany as students.

Quite a few Wurst.

I remember the light (lager type) beer being nice but then again we were students, it was summer, it was hot.

They make some nice white wines.

They have a strong economy.

Hmmm.....Audi Quattros. Not so sure about Beemers in general but I could manage an 850.

Black Forest Gateau (although off the menu at the moment).

No speed limits on some roads.

Not a massive list so far and doesn't include things like not being French but I'm sure I could eventually expand the list beyond a single sheet of toilet paper if boredom didn't set in first.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Yeah, Sharm el Sheikh was fine this week

Reply to
geoff

It wasn't you getting kidnapped then?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Who would kidnap someone that you need an earth mover to transport ?

Reply to
geoff