OT remove seized plugs from car

I have to try and get the spark plugs out of a Ford Fiesta - but they are pretty well seized up in there. Not only that but they are remarkably small sized across the hexagon flats - which doesn't help.

I havn't yet actually put the monster 1/2 bar on them but the sockets I've tried so far show that they don't want to turn. I've put release oil in the plug wells and done that for a few days and cycled the engine hot/cold. No difference.

I wonder if freezer spray on the plug itself when the engine is hot might break the seal?

Is it best to try to undo them with engine hot or cold?

I thought to get a real good quality plug socket spanner (12 points?), rather than the usual hex sided thing.

Any other tips on how to go about this appreciated. If one of those snapped off in the cyl. head I'd be in deep deep ****!

Thanks

Reply to
dave

Use a decent 1/2" drive plug socket spanner - not the bent bit of tin which may have been supplied with the car - and a 10" T-bar, and they'll come out ok. Don't be timid!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm afraid this is very likely with this engine. Long 'thread' ;-) about it on uk.rec.cars.maintenance, if you care to Google.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct 6 point socket, comfortable length of extension and long 'breaker' bar, be careful as plugs can and do snap [1], if in doubt leave well alone, is the best set of advice. As for freeing oil, not a lot of point, the problem is the wrong side of a gas tight seal or the taper seal it's self. :~(

[1] I've known the ceramics to break up, this could lead to the ceramics dropping into the cylinder, OTOH only rarely have I come across problems caused buy the hex part of the plug separating from the threaded part although it can happen (although I've only go access this on very old plugs that have also corroded).
Reply to
:Jerry:

As Dave says there are threads reporting this problem with small ford engines on other groups. I might be tempted to leave the bloody things in if the car is running OK rather than snap them.

Reply to
R D S

Get the engine stinking hot, apply pressure to a six sided socket, with a ten inch bar and give it a thwack with 1 1/2 or 2 pound hammer. Don't go over the top with the thwack, as this could dislodge the socket and damage the plug. Re-seat the socket before each thwack.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Do not give it a 'thwack' with a hammer, just apply constant pressure on the bar.

Reply to
ThePunisher

Hot, the alumiium head will expand more than the steelplug, it will also be softer, take care not to burn yourself!!

Reply to
Lord Turkey Cough

Being philosophical then - how do you avoid this - Coppaslip????

Reply to
John

No. I don't think that the problem is with a seized thread, but an overtightened plug. One should use _moderate_ pressure in a "stone cold" engine (lowest possible temperature).

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE