OT: Remoaning the good news.

Yep, despite Brexit and with companies queuing up to locate in Britain., and with unemployment at an all time low of 4.8%....

...someone has managed to find SOMEONE who is 'pessimistic'

Project Fear morphs into project Misery.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cheer up.

This weeks 'Have I got news for you' particular fun.

"Regular team captains Paul Merton and Ian Hislop are joined by guest host Charlie Brooker and guest panellists Rich Hall and Maureen Lipman."

Might be nuclear war around the corner but Trump is 4 years of comedy gold...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Depending on which way you lean it seems to be easy to find "everything is rosy", and "doom gloom and despondency" sources of news. It means leavers and remainers both have pet sites they can cite to support their world view.

Read the grauniad or indy for remain, the wail or the torygraph for leave etc.

The likelihood is the truth is somewhere between the two extremes.

Reply to
John Rumm

People only believe what they want to believe, anyway :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Actually this cheered me up immensely:

"Speaking in Berlin, Angela Merkel said that making an ?exception? for Britain would ?endanger? the principles of the EU.

?Were we to make an exception for the free movement of people with Britain, this would mean we would endanger principles of the whole internal market in the European Union, because *everyone else will then want these exceptions*," she said."

Can there be any more clear demonstration that the EU nations and governments do NOT want what the EU is imposing, than that statement by Frau Merkel?

She appears oblivious to the implications of her statement, that the EU is opposed by *all* it's member states, but this is *no cause to modify its policies*.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The news that Facebook is expanding their UK operation is good. But not sure how this will help the deprived areas of the UK who swung the leave vote? My guess is little will be done to actually help them - new industries etc. Especially by a Tory government. And the same will be the case in the US.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And Schrödingers cat is only half dead, and will wake up presently.

Some things ARE somewhat more binary than others.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And read the Express if you want a total distortion of the facts.

Reply to
pamela

IIRC the DE qas the only paper to cite the Lord Mayor of Lomdon's speech, where he said there is no problem for the City with leaving! As a banker, he should know.

Reply to
Capitol

En el artículo , pamela escribió:

People suffering from Dunning-Kruger syndrome seem to like reading it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes a certain London BBC station on a Thursday morning has what they call a Moan In which is a phone in, but where people moan.

I can complain about shared surfaces and how it makes a no go area for visually impaired some cyclists and even sighted people who are fairly slow. I do not think drivers and cyclists in this country are nice enough not to bully pedestrians and each other, not even noticing white canes and guide dogs, of course town planners are totally clueless about best design to stop issues, and indeed I feel there is a conspiracy to bury bad news about such schemes because they are often heralded as the new way forward and broken legs and dead people might not go down too well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Can't you two book a motel somewhere?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes - shared spaces are a fecking stupid idea Brian.

Your case is an obvious one. Another is children:

You train then to recognise a road and a kerb and how to cross the road.

Then some dick in the council comes aling and makes the road look like a pavement!

There's a cycle crossing on the Strand, london, opposite Waterloo bridge. This looked like pavement and I was always getting nearly flattened by hordes of cyclists until I figured out it was actually a cycle way.

The council have just dug it up and tarmacced it!

Kensington council did the same with that sill nonsense in Exhibition Road.

And Tunbridge Wells have a rather silly and half arsed set of segnments of > I can complain about shared surfaces and how it makes a no go area for

Reply to
Tim Watts

'Diversity' means driving on both sides of the road.

And on the pavement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean that there's more than one BBC London service?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Sadly not. Which means local news (and things like traffic info) might as well be about Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a good example of the City putting a brave face on the truly colossal amount it stands to lose from Brexit if the Europeans cut up rough. The Lord Mayor's glowing City propaganda gets reported because it suits the political slant of that organ of mis-truth and cheerleader for Brexit Max, the Daily Express.

Reply to
pamela

If the Express is sold out sufferers could always read its stable mate, the Daily Star.

Reply to
pamela

Why d'ye keep reading these papers?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Add in the Palin and we could have 25 carat gold!

Reply to
PeterC