OT. Recycling - sorted.

But we're talking about carbon footprint here. There is no less glass in a bottle of Bells than there is in a decent single malt. So drink the single malt instead.

Reply to
Andrew May

And Johnny Walker Black Label is better, and Green Label is better than Black Label, and Gold Label is better than Green Label (well, more expensive anyhow).

Reply to
teddysnips

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Si saying something like:

Whisky is anything but pure. The distinctive 'character' of individual whiskies is conveyed by a mixture and balance of various poisons - toxic chemicals which are only permitted because they are present in such small quantities, but together add up to enough to leave a memorable hangover. In all probability, if whisky were to be invented now it would be banned because of the horrible stuff within it. I never touch the stuff nowadays; I used to love it, but the torture of a whisky hangover eventually convinced me, by an aversion process, to stop taking it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Exactly. Bells, and most other blended stuff, is a total waste of glass. Smith's "The" Glenlivet is my favourite whisky.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Mmm! definitely.

I remember a(n advertising) campaign by (some?) brewers in the 1950s (when I was too young to drink!) advocating bottled beer only, rather than draught. Can anyone else draw light (or ale) on it.

Reply to
<me9

messagenews:cTj7j.85722$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Don't be silly.

A boggling range of what is mostly too gassy beer that is basically the same as what goes in cans. It's called "marketing" and allows the suppliers to charge more for what some percieve to be a premium product.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'd say a choice of what appears to be around 100 beers from microbreweries upwards, many of which are bottle conditioned, isn't silly. And there's no comparison between the sort of stuff I'm drinking these days and the stuff I typically got in cans - the bottled is very definitely better. (and that's before I start on "smoothflow"...)

I've not seen the beer market looking this good at any other point in my life. And I'm not alone in this - friends who are really very into the subject agree with me.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Unfortunately we're talking here about my consumption being zero through this necessity.

Reply to
Si

The message from contains these words:

The only beer advert I can remember from the 50s was something about 'beer at home is Davenports' but that doesn't seem to fit.

Reply to
Roger

Try a bottle of Bishop's Finger, or my all-time favourite beer, Old Speckled Hen - you won't be disappointed, although obviously, draught is best.

John

Reply to
John

Stella is definitely crap - tastes and smells weird. The best lager by far is the original Budweiser (now called Budvar because of the fekkin merkins) - not the merkin crap but the original one from the Czech town of Cesky Budejovice (the german name for which is Budweis).

John

Reply to
John

Can't say I've noticed it aggravating my asthma at all. Different triggers and all that I guess...

Darren - enjoying a glass of Talisker as I type

Reply to
dmc

In message , dmc writes

Good call - I have a bottle out the back ... well, two actually

Reply to
geoff

In my case, lime juice starts the asthma straight away...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Try the emerald isle -Jamieson's I find less of a torture!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The secret to getting a decent lager is never to buy anything made in the UK. Pilsner beers made here are not "lagered" properly, because of UK Excise regulations, and never taste right. Or indeed, of anything at all. Anything made according to the Reinheitsgebot

is usually OK - with the odd exception of Beck's, which is vile.

Budvar and Staropramen are both available on draft in the UK and perfectly drinkable. The problem is that as soon as these beers become popular, they start being made under license in the UK, and stop being worth drinking.

Reply to
Huge

You could substitute Talisker or Oban, enjoy it, and upset a greenie. Sounds like a win win situation!

Reply to
John Rumm

Not so bad in bottles... not so sure about cans though

Reply to
John Rumm

Now you have got me started ;-)

Add to that Marton's Old Empire, or Shepherd Neame 1698 (bottle conditioned), or Fursty Ferret.

(Tanglefoot and Old Peculiar are not bad either).

Reply to
John Rumm

Old speckled has gorn orrf lately

Best I have had recently is Good Dog Ale.

Not sure but I think you can only get it in a few places..its made locally here.

It's the only 'beer' I will drink frankly.

Thatr or spainsh/mexican/S African/far Eastern lager..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher