OT - Recycling gone mad

Were it my farm, then yes, it would be my responsibility. It isn't, so it isn't.

Nope.

Reply to
Huge

Yep. Step forward, Two Jags Prescott.

Reply to
Huge

An idea that will have people burning their rubbish, fly tipping it and putting it in their neighbours bins.

Reply to
Huge

'apocrypha is used with various meanings, including "hidden", "esoteric", "spurious", "of questionable authenticity", ancient Chinese "revealed texts and objects" and "Christian texts that are not canonical".'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I reckon that would massively increase fly tipping, so a success if that is your aim.

Wells idea that will guarantee that most people will drive to the nearest field to dump their rubbish.

Do we need to recycle many kerbs?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ours just has "your deer carcas' go in non burnable waste" (sic)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hasn't chip 'n bin been tried over here? But charge by weight of rubbish not number of bins per houshold. Don't think it was much of a success, either from the reliabilty (not) of the chip reader, swapped/missing chips and people putting their rubbish in neighbours bin.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

well it's a pint and a packet of S&V, but if you want to pay for the whole gang you can.

Reply to
thirty-six

Reply to
thirty-six

All these ideas about making us pay by weight for rubbish collection apply only to those of us who have worked hard and bought our own houses. Those in council estates will be let off, because the fact is that the councils know that it would be unworkable. Many of the tenants would put rubbish in other people's bins or just leave it on the street.

In tower blocks the rubbish goes into communal chutes so there's no way the tenants can be made to pay.

It's just another example of the way those who pull their weight are penalised, or just plain robbed, by councils and central government.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What do you base "I reckon" on?

The Yank equivalent of the man in the pub never had that on his mind, IME. They just thought it was normal, like if you used twice as much gas or water you paid more. They seemed much more concerned about being forced to wear safety belts or crash helmets.

Hard to say. The street I lived on only had them on one side of the road. Perhaps that was a long-term recycling programme.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , at 21:48:10 on Sun,

12 Feb 2012, hugh remarked:

My tip won't accept waste paint (even half a litre of that ghastly yellow the previous tenant painted the bathroom) which leaves me wondering where it *can* be disposed of.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Paint something that they *will* let you dispose of? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Maybe paint the tip with it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Freecycle.

or somewhere like

mogga

In message , at 13:49:17 on Tue, 14 Feb

2012, Jules Richardson remarked:

Some councils used to accept it, and make it into a grey sludge that had purported use. Maybe it's not allowed to landfill paint any more. So what to do? Splash it on some wood and watch it dry...

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 13:51:51 on Tue, 14 Feb 2012, mogga remarked:

Too old (the paint, that is).

Reply to
Roland Perry

Inside a black bin liner with a load of innoculous looking crap on top...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Even opened the wrong way up?

Reply to
mogga

Our tip won 't take wet paint in a tin, but will take dried up paint. IIRC they suggested opening the tin and pouring onto something else - sawdust would do I guess, or waste paper. Seems a bit extreme to buy cat litter to soak up the paint, although that used to be a way of soaking up spilled oil.

Reply to
David WE Roberts