OT - Recycling gone mad

The attitude to chipboard needs sorting out at our local tip. It ain't "wood", and it apparently ain't "household" either. I knock them apart and put the panels in a bin liner, whereupon it becomes household.

Reply to
stuart noble

Like another OP in this thread I'm in Hampshire. The County Council issue permits for people in who may be in that situation. Strictly speaking the rules say it should only apply if it is the only vehicle available for the driver to use but I don't know if that is per household or by keeper. When I applied "our" car was in the missus name. The large van was registered to the company I worked for but I was permitted to use it privately ,was even equipped with side windows and a 2nd row of removable seats which made it quite a versatile vehicle. The permit allowed so many visits per year and the site contractor had to see the permit and checked that the waste was domestically produced and not related to the business the van was normally used for. Only used it twice,the contractor as mentioned before was Hopkins who were fairly quick to intercept when they saw a Van enter but just as quick to wave us on once they were shown the permit and a quick glance that the rubbish was completely different to the work supplies in the van. Seems to be a reasonable way to do things.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

When I helped my brother swap all the radiators at his house the council employee tried to stop me dropping the old radiators off as he thought I was a plumber. I have never been so insulted in all my life.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Which the council then sell on for scrap. They should have been pleased, but then I suppose they can't turn down more problematic stuff like asbestos sheets.

Reply to
Part Timer

My brother hired a van from a London (Toyota?) dealer over one Christmas since it worked out cheaper than a car to go and visit all the relatives up north. Probably a demonstrator since it had their advert plastered on the sides. We got him to take a couple of 1950s armchairs to the council dump. Blatantly not a business vehicle since it was full of luggage, pressies, etc as well as 2 old chairs. The droids apparently took my name and address which he gave to them, and they "didn't want to see the van again without a permit".

Even better was a plan of 1 of the 2 neighbouring councils who both run such operations to want to administer a permit scheme for all their households, to spite those who live just on the other side but nearer to the other council's dump. In these straightened times it seemed like a fly-tipper's charter. Haven't heard any more via the local rag so maybe someone saw sense.

Reply to
Part Timer

Worse than that when I took some domestic rubbish in my work van they assumed I was an aerial installer!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I had some small offcuts of alloy sheet so I put them in the recycling with the cans. The operative removed them and left them on the lawn. Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

They do have job to do....

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The last bunch of jobsworths at my local tip insisted I get a permit for my

40 year old rag top Land Rover because it was a "commercial vehicle" it was free and not much hassle to get but the staff changed and they have never asked to see it!

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

People will just flytip.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

... even more.

Which, if on the public highway, the council have to pay to clear up.

Costing more than accepting it at the HWRC in the first place.

Reply to
Huge

But it all makes work for the working man to do....

The Natural Philosopher

I would really like to know if anyone has done any research into the amount of flytipping versus the easy of use of council tips. Then worked out what is more cost effective, awkward tips or tidying up the tipping. Probably comes out of two different budgets and so neither will care about the other.

There will of course be those that can't be bothered and just fly anyway, but there are also those at the moment that do it because the restrictions are too great. If I'd loaded a van full of kitchen cabinets and then been turned away to go and get a permit that takes a week to arrive, free or not, I would have been tempted. Not that I ever have, infact in my youth I used to get my father to drive around the lanes with me and I'd pick up dumped TVs, A great source of parts. Scared the heck out of my mother, I had an old Bush chassis in my bedroom for years, no case, just lots of HT and EHT floating around, great TV :-)

Reply to
Bill

Apochryphally, the amount of fly tipping has gone up dramatically in the last few years. I live on a farm, and finding new piles of crap lying about has become routine.

Not so sure - if it's on the public highway, I call the same council department as for bin emptying. The last time they sent someone for a fridge, he found

2 more on his way to me.

The number of fridges has fallen off recently, to be replaced by tyres.

Reply to
Huge

I don't know why they didn't go the whole hog and the triple word score. "Except battery's and tire's"

Reply to
grimly4

Anecdotally? :)

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

In message , Huge writes

From what I have seen on various news reports this then becomes your responsibility to remove and pay for, is that so? Or do the council show some leniency?

Last year a small garage business next to my parents home was sold off for housing development, they had to take a metre of ground away as it was contaminated. Now that they have started digging the foundations for the new houses they have found numerous tyres, I can't imagine how deep he had buried them, it must have been at least 2m down though. The builders are NOT amused.......

Reply to
Bill

Huge wrote: [snip]

Same here. It's getting to the point where I'm considering fitting trail cameras to catch the bastards. But the root cause is the stupidity of taxing rubbish.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How would you feel about pricing by quantity of rubbish produced? We had that in California when I lived there. One bin, so much per month. Two bins, an extra surcharge. These days, that could be improved upon and could be handled quite easily if say each bin had a chip, so if you have less rubbish you put only the one bin out and pay less that time. Gosh, now there's an idea.

Interestingly, we also had kerbside recycling then - and this was 1983. When I returned here in 1993 to find we didn't have it here, I suggested it to a number of folks, all of whom thought I was crazy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, it looked crap no matter how I spelled it.

Reply to
Huge