OT - Recycling gone mad

Some may have noticed that I am trying to find a couple of knobs, one for a cooker the other for a fan heater.

Doing our bit for recycling down at the local tip, my Lady Wife noticed that there were some cookers there for recycling.

Being an open and honest sort, she asked if she could take a knob off one of the cookers.

"Sorry", she was told, "nothing allowed off site".

Which makes a mockery of recycling, but is presumably an edict to stop people justifying nicking stuff with the connivance of the staff.

Moral - next time I shall shout "Gordon Bennet - that seagull is more like a vulture" or something equally stupid to distract these guardians of the unwanted whilst herself helps herself. Or we may send in an undercover snatch squad :-)

I am assuming, of course, that there is no monetary value in the plastic knobs on scrap cookers.

Sigh - a few years back you were allowed to take or buy useful bits that others had thrown away.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You are looking in the right place.

We have dennis and drivel.

Or are they the wrong sort of knobs?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I agree there is so much odd bits I could use from the recycle tip. I believe they sell on the stuff to whoever for recycling. In my area all the broken bikes are sold to a cycle shop as a job lot, refurbished and the shop then sells them. I put a lot of stuff on gumtree now so that someone can get the chance to use it before I take to the tip.

Reply to
ss

Our local tip has a area set aside for selling stuff - they positively encourage recycling - as long as they get some cash. I've even managed to 'order' an item from our lot as they run a number of local tips and called back a few days later to collect it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Health and safety, are you sure the knob your wife wanted was going to be safe and not possibly a faulty knob that could cause untold harm? You can never be too careful with the knobs down at the council tips.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bob Minchin writes

Brilliant, I like it, which part of the country?

Reply to
Bill

Hampshire. Our sites are run by Hopkins

wanted a 'calor' gas cylinder to use as an air receiver. They wanted a tenner but said I only had £4 in cash which seemed to be acceptable and was trousered in milliseconds.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It is the knobs in the council offices you need to beware of!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No, it's just your tip being jobsworth bastards.

My local tip not only allow you to aquire stuff, they even have a stall selling (for a quid) a variety of serviceable items - and the bloke will even help you with it into the car if your a lady or infirm!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Mr & Mrs Bennet-that-seagull-is-more-like-a-vulture, and their son...

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Some more late arrivals at the Waste Recyclers Ball?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Ours used to be like that a few contracts back but they keep replacing the contractors and the current lot just don't pass stufff on.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Sounds like Mountfield :)

-
Reply to
Mark

Yep. You local too?

Reply to
Tim Watts

You don't want your wife to come into contact with an insanitary knob do you? The best thing is to dip your knob in boiling water.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think you can still buy, but there are some rules. Pity there is no such thing as an appliance breakers yard, mind you those are a dead bread now as the money to be made means no more allowing public to have a look, the staff take the good bits and flog them at very high prices. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not allowed any more here.

Something to do with privatising them or something.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Used to happen here in Warwickshire until the council took control of the site again recently.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

*Used to happen here in Warwickshire until the council took control of *the site again recently.

*Jonathan

I think I am sensing a common theme here. Service being made less user friendly.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Not quite the same, but similar. There was a lot of talk when our local council installed CCTV at the tidy tips. Was it for safety reasons, evidence if there were any accidents, or was it to keep an eye on the staff?

some years ago you could pick stuff up that had been dropped off there with no questions asked. Now it is almost run as a military operation.

Another local gripe is "commercial waste" A friend of mine who has a sign written company van that he keeps 24/7 used it to drop off his old kitchen cabinets. He was refused access and told to get written permission, lots of paperwork, because it could be commercial waste. The fact he worked for an electrical supply company didn't matter.

Reply to
Bill