OT: Recommendation for Linux for old (2008) low-spec ex-Windows machine

Can anyone recommend a Linux that will work reasonably on an old (2008) former WindowsXP machine (AMD Sempron LE-1150 processor, not sure how much memory at the moment, Foxconn K8M890-8237A motherboard), with an old monitor, & think it's onboard graphics card, not a separate graphics card. We've tried Ubuntu and Mint installs, with not much success.

(& which are the better informed Linux newsgroups?)

Allan (dipping a toe back into the Linux water)

Reply to
Allan

Have you tried Lubuntu?

Reply to
Paul Herber

Antix, Mint 7, Puppy. Many recommend DSL, I dont but it might work for you.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

uk.comp.os.linux

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

That's not old! My main games playing machine is a year older than that and can play the very latest games with no trouble. It currently dual boots Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 17. I also changed a 2004 Acer Windows XP netbook to Mint 17. I expected to have to use a lightweight desktop but it runs the default Cinnamon desktop fine.

Are you having trouble getting it to work at all or is it slow?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Any xubuntu (XFCE4 windo manager) version should be fine - the needs are modest and XFCE4 is pretty nice without being "fat".

Reply to
Tim Watts

would help if you said Why you are not having much success.

Reply to
Mark

Mine's older and running Ubuntu 10.04 OK.

It should be updated, of course, but as I'm looking to upgrade the whole set up next year I can't be bothered at present.

Lubuntu is a 'lite' version of Ubuntu and should install andrun OK as should Puppy or Mint

Reply to
David P

I would have thought the first thing to find out would be how much RAM and disk storage you have. Surely not hard to discover (Control Panel=>System) if the machine is working?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

or better, fire it up with memtest and you'll see the ram/cpu specs as well as see if they work ok.

NT

Reply to
meow2222