OT: recommendation for domain name and web hosting

What's the latest feeling on this?

I want a provider for a small, low maintenance website providing one domain name, as a package. Very low load, small-scale, not high bandwidth and no high storage requirements. Some server-side includes (shtml) will be needed and some cgi or php. Access via ftp is fine (the html is already written)

I've used

(but they're a bit high price bracket for what I want/need) and also
(who have cheap gotcha intro rates but ramp costs up later)

Essentially, EE/Orange have finally announced that they are pulling the free webspace (15Mb?) that they gave old freeserve.co.uk users (about 10 years ago), and a couple of accounts with small websites on them that I had need re-homing.

Reply to
Allan

Have you looked at Falcoda?

Reply to
Tim Streater

We're using cloud hosting from Tsohost . Your needs would probably be met by their Lite package at £15 per year for hosting. Domain registration is not included - a co.uk or org.uk domain from them would be an extra £7.19 per year

We've been using them for a few months and the performance seems good. In particular their standard of technical support is excellent.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

What exactly do you need or is it just a personal e-mail?

I take it that you know both Outlook and Gmail give you 15 Gb of webspace with each account? A number of free accounts give you a lot of free housing but maybe not the required adress. (Word Press for example but there are many others.)

Whilst we are on the subject; what is to stop you opening a server in your own company name and what is involved with that?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Many thanks for the thoughts. Ended up going with

They weren't mentioned on this thread, but they have had an honourable mention in another thread on uk.diy for a similar purpose. Their website looked good (non-fussy, I like it), the phone support was good, the prices were competitive (£20 per year hosting + £5/yr for a .co.uk domain + VAT). The application process was good, and the account set up immediately, the hosting pretty much straight after, and the domain (.co.uk) appeared an hour later. So far so (really quite) good (hope I'm not eating 'umble pie later). I know someone (non-technical) else who uses them for a small website and seems to be able to cope too.

Reply to
Allan

You can check ukwindowshostasp.net and hostforlife.eu if you need UK hosting. Hostforlife have many different data centers in europe. You can rely on them if you just host simple site.

Reply to
jacksimone78

Make sure you check on what privacy they offer as if we leave the EU we may not have the same laws protecting your data as they will be subject to whatever negotiations the UK has with other countries.

Reply to
dennis

I hardly think a publicly accessible website of a simple sort has any private data to protect. The while point of website is to publicise data.

So either your are completely stupid, or a lying remainer troll, or probably, both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks - I had forgotten about the free web space associated with a Gmail address.

I am looking to publish a simple bit of information in a table (an "Items for Sale" list for an extended garage sale) and this may well be the way to do it.

If only I could remember how to construct web pages!

Although I think Word will publish a document as a web page (with a bit of overhead).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

For europe location, I would say yes to hostforlife.eu. They have great plan and pricing. You can consider them

Reply to
jacksimone78