OT: Rechargeable Batteries

I've got a DAB radio (Sony S60DBP) that takes 3 C type batteries. The instructions say 'rechargeable batteries not supported'. I take it that's because they tend to be 1.2V.

I'd rather not splash out if it's not going to work. Has anyone any experience of this type of application, or a recommendation for a 1.5V rechargeable?

Reply to
RJH

They are, but tend to maintain this voltage for much of their cycle. And

1.2v from a dry cell isn't the end of its life. Although poorly designed equipment may not like voltages at the lower end.

Not with that particular radio, but have had some success using re-chargeables where they're said not to be suitable. Really, all you could do is suck it and see. But they may well need re-charging much more frequently than you'd like. No chance of running it off mains?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , RJH writes

DAB radios tend to be heavy on batteries. If possible use a mains connection.

Reply to
bert

I wonder if they warn against rechargeables to cover themselves in case of an internal short leading to fire/explosion?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Poor design may of course apply here.

Yes, decent chance, but I'd like the versatility of batteries. Quoted life is 16 hours on DAB and 14 hours on FM using alkalines, so I might expect something under half that using rechargeables - if they work.

I've just checked a few AA/AAA rechargeable batteries I have lying about:

ReCyko: 1.3V Eneloop: 1.35V

7DayShop own brand: 1.2V

They're all 'long life' branded, and have been in the drawer for a month or so from fully charged.

So there could well be a moral there . . . which is probably buy some alkalines and get on with it ;-)

Reply to
RJH

Not this radio, but I've couple of small DAB radios here (Sony and Phillips), running off AA NiMH cells quite happily. No idea if they recommended not using rechargeable, I tend to use them anyway (I can only remember having one thing that didn't like them, but I can't remember what that was).

I've always got a stock of charged AA cells, so it's not an issue to change the batteries - but they do get through them as you ay so glad I'm not using disposable cells (there is a mains option, but tend to move them around a lot, so cells a more convenient

Reply to
Chris French

We've got a Roberts radio (reglar AM/FM, no DABS) which gets used in the bathroom only. It takes C cells. I called up Roberts Tech Support and they said it would run OK with rechargeables, which it does. I couldn't find any C-sized Eneloops or equivalent, so I got some of these:

2 x AA To C Size Cell Battery Holder Converter Adapter Case

which of course would appear to be no longer available from Amazon - typical. Although perhaps they can be found elsewhere.

Works fine for us with AA Eneloops, batts have been in the radio since the end of October 2014. Newly charged Eneloops appear to be just over

1.4V and SWMBO had a set in the crib display over Xmas which were driving an LED most the days during the period. Still showing about 1.3 when I recharged them.

I'd say give it a whirl. Proper rechargeables that hold their charge are useful anyway even if not in the radio. We've got about 20 old non-longlife rechargeables, they'll prolly get recycled because what's the point of them, eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think the answer may be Rechargable Alkaline Manganese (RAM) cells.

I have some AA variants in a bit of kit I use. Seem to work a treat.

They're hard to find though, and you'll need a suitable charger. They have been on Amazon UK in the past:

Vortex11

Similarly no problem with one using 2 AAs.

Reply to
newshound

Someone on here recommended me to "just go down to Poundland and stock up on non-rechargeables there -- they're as good as any others". Seems to work, for me and my DAB, although mine is three AAs.

J.

Reply to
Another John

In message , Tim Streater writes

Yup, plenty others on Amazon, Ebay etc.

I've got a few that I use in somethign else that takes C size batteries, fine, but of course you don't get the runtime of a C size battery

Reply to
Chris French

Well, the effect I noticed on one using rechargeable was a bit of fluffy type distortion on the sound, presumably crossover distortion. Some alkaline claim to be rechargeable, but this only works if you never drain them down very much and then recharge them again. An old Grundig radio I had used a lead acid Gell cell in a case with a charger, but that seemed to die after about a year or so. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

0.8Ah rather than 2+Ah, but they do perform well otherwise

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The newer nickel metal hydrides are better than the old ones for self discharge issues, and for that matter ampere hour ratings. I got some AAs from Maplin recently which seem very good indeed, though of course if the terminal volts are a problem, not of great help. You used to be able to get aa to c conversion thingies, a few pence each so at least that could cheaply let you try any AAs to see if the low terminal volts matter. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Many thanks everyone. I think the best way forward is to try one of the suggestions - an AA-C converter. Just ordered some from Maplins (cheapest, funnily enough - 4 for £2.70). I'm not expecting miracles.

Reply to
RJH

What did you check, the voltage stamped on them, or did measure them with a meter?

If you measured the voltage, what load were they under?

Reply to
Graham.

I doubt that will matter much with a DAB radio. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thought they were said to be a con?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Um - just connected up a multimeter and measured the voltage.

Reply to
RJH

C cells are the same length as AA. If you have 3 rechargeable AAs then you could try these in situ.

Maplin also do some AA to C conversion adapters.

Reply to
Fredxxx