OT: Recession Coming

So who's going to stop it and how, pray tell?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don?t believe that.

And the legal system will tell them to shove those clauses where the sun don?t shine, sideways.

Reply to
jack

We have in fact ended up with peace in our time in western europe.

Happened in north america much earlier than that.

Reply to
jack

Bet it stays.

Doesn?t mean that it will be scrapped and it makes sense to use it until it does get scrapped.

Reply to
jack

There are always plenty of non sheep that will do that with something like that when some bank it actually stupid enough to refuse to let them withdraw what they have on deposit.

Reply to
jack

Doesn?t need anyone to stop it. If two world wars and the great depression didn?t produce it, nothing will.

We didn?t even get the unemployment rate into double digit percentages for long this time around in the countries that matter.

Reply to
jack

There were three bank branches in the shopping parade close to here. One now a restaurant, one an estate agent, one a Sainsbury Local.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I cant believe you just said that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It?s a fact regardless of what you may or may not believe.

Reply to
jack

Well no, it isn't a fact.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Corse it is in western europe and north america.

Reply to
jack

Er, no. At the time it was said, WW2 was just around the corner.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, I can only hope you're right, m8. Otherwise, we're all off to the gulags.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

worse is in your old age going a bit senile and other problems and you not only foget where you put them but forget you have them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

only in the minds of a few morons who don't understand the need for it

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Yes but some quite influential morons have issued a paper in the last few days

The CPS is as I understand it a fairly right wing think tank (it was originally set up my Margaret Thatcher and Keith Joseph after all) but with a conservative Govt for the foreseeable future you never know if they might be listened to.

Reply to
Chris B

Those particular influential morons issue their paper every single day.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes but the story has been picked up by loads of others as well

and The Times but that is behind a paywall

but I cant find any sign of it on the BBC website

Reply to
Chris B

I wasn't really commenting on the story...

But it isn't really a story, is it? A random independent think-tank has issued a report making a mildly controversial suggestion.

Woo. Hold the front page.

Reply to
Adrian

Well in the context of the thread, (ie that some suggestions have been made that the deposit guarantee could be abolished in the near future) I was simply pointing out that these suggestions are not only being made by "a few morons who don't understand the need for it" but also by some people who have considerable lobbying capability.

Reply to
Chris B