OT: re-glazing spectacles

My lens prescription has changed enough to make changing my specs worthwhile - the frames are OK so reglazing is probably the most sensible thing to do. A few years ago there was a discussion about having specs reglazed - has anyone had any recent good/bad experiences, or anywhere they'd like to recommend?

Reply to
<no_spam

If the frames are OK, I always go for re-glazing once but never twice. As I only need new glasses every three or four years, I reckon seven or eight years from one set of frames is reasonable value, but more than that is penny-pinching. Never had a problem.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Re-glazing isn't the great option it used to be. Going back a couple of decades, the fashionable size of spectacle lenses grew progressively smaller year on year, enabling several re-glazings from the original lenses (if your eyes hadn't changed of course). Unfortunately, the trend in more recent times is for larger lenses which of course cannot simply be re-glazed by trimming any more!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Think you have that the wrong way round. Reglazining to me means new lenses in old frames.

Reply to
DJC

I used my original metal frames for decades, worked fine.

I only stopped using them when I couldn't get the inverted V plastic nose pieces that snap into the frame for those frames anymore.

Reply to
john james

you could do worse than:

onestopglasses.co.uk

the proprietor occasionally posts here as 'RDS' or 'R D S'.

Decent prices & a friendly operation. No connection except as a satisfied customer.

Mind you, he hasn't answered a recent email enquiry from me yet (hint!)

HTH jon N

Reply to
jkn

Boots seem to be ridiculously expensive; who have you used for the reglazing?

Reply to
<no_spam

Yes, reglazing means replacing the lenses in existing frames

Reply to
<no_spam

If the frames are ok it is perfectly feasible to have new lenses fitted. I had this done to my computer specs a while ago, without any problems.

One downside is that if your optician needs to send them away to be done (as mine does), you'll be without them for a couple of days or more. I get the impression too that opticians charge more for the lenses if you're not buying frames at the same time!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Local optician. Not a chain.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wonder if opticians make double glazed glasses, might stop them misting up ;-)

Reply to
Bod

I'll gladly help out if I can. We are doing a roaring trade in reglazes at the moment.

Many thanks.

When did you send it? I can't see anything recently outstanding or in current spam. If you resend it i'll deal with it right now!

Reply to
R D S