OT: Rant - Cheap, nasty, shitty "zips"

Just bought the washing in off our rotary line - first use this year. Folded it down. Went to put the "Minky" cover (used once last year) back on, and the shitty nasty cheap plastic excuse for a zip has failed.

I don't think I have every known one last more than a few weeks. Bring back metal !

Grrrrrr.

Of course can we find the receipt ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just bought the washing in off our rotary line - first use this year. Folded it down. Went to put the "Minky" cover (used once last year) back on, and the shitty nasty cheap plastic excuse for a zip has failed.

I don't think I have every known one last more than a few weeks. Bring back metal !

Grrrrrr.

Of course can we find the receipt ?

Don't *need* the receipt, just proof of purchase, bank statement, CC statement etc is sufficient for SOG Act.

As for zips, the metal ones are no effin better. £320 pair of leather boots form a reputable Australian womens shoe supplier purchased last Friday, tried on in shop by SWMBO, satisfied were good, used for first time Sunday and the effin zip bust !

Not even used for 10 minutes FFS

Shyte Chinese workmanship/materials !

Reply to
Nthkentman

"Reputable Australian" .............?????????

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You can by these covers in Argos. Or at least you could a few years back

- ours is no longer proper green, buy a manky yellow-green colour. But the zip still works.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In article , Nthkentman writes

Can you explain how a bank or CC statement that does not give specific details of a purchased article can be used to provide the necessary proof of purchase?

Reply to
fred

Yeah. Always seems to be the way we jeans, I find - if the fit's good and the pockets will hold a decent amount of stuff, it's pretty much guaranteed that the zip will be crap.

I really don't know how they manage it - I'd expect that there'd be one or two designs of teeth that were good, and a whole bunch of ones that were shit, and after x years of using zips on things we'd only be using the ones that actually work.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It will provide a transaction date and purchase price (which may be greater than just the product under question) from which the retailer can correlat e against their own EFT records to confirm purchase. However, on several oc casions now I've found they've accepted it at face value and not insisted i n performing this check.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

In the face of an uncooperative retailer/supplier however they are of little value, they show that _a_ purchase was made, not that a specific purchase was made.

Reply to
fred

Don't worry about that Fred - the cooperation, or otherwise, of a retailer does not affect your statutory rights under. If they don't accept your proo f of purchase, particularly if they could correlate your claims with their own records, then you simply take it that one step further e.g filing a cla im through the Money Claim Online. It's a very straightforward process and you are guided/supported all the way.

The SOGA doesn't mandate that the only proof of purchase is a retailer's re ceipt because the retailer themselves are not mandated to provide you one i n the first place hence it would be something of a loophole for them to wri ggle out of if it did! Needless to say, things will always be easier if you do keep hold of the receipt.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

If you still need convincing have a read of this for further guidance; it's based around a simple training session so easy to digest:

Slide 33: 'If a customer has lost their receipt but can prove the item was bought from us, we must accept their proof.' ... 'One way of checking is to ask for a sales receipt or credit card statement.' Slide 35: 'If the customer has lost their receipt we must accept other types of proof.'

Don't be put off by a retailer trying to tell you otherwise. There's a whole load of guidance out on the web for this sort of thing... Know your rights!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I have a couple of pairs of jeans with metal zippers where the locking "pip" has broken off and the zipper undoes itself (honestly, officer!).

I have a onesie with a soft plastic zipper and to date it's been smooth and reliable, as well as comfortable (except when I caught a chest hair last night!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I am aware of all that you have written but a bank or CC statement is not _proof_ that a specific article was purchased.

If you chose to pursue a claim at court the success or otherwise would depend on a number of factors. If you purchased a single high cost article in a card transaction and produced a card statement supporting that then the court may decide on a balance of probabilities that the article concerned was bought from the supplier on that date. On the other hand, if you bought a number of articles at the same time such that the price of the faulty article was masked by the others then the supplier could successfully argue that you have not provided any proof that the item was part of that transaction or was purchased from them at all.

Producing a bank or CC statement on its own will in no way guarantee the success of a claim.

Reply to
fred

In article , Frank Erskine writes

Hmmmn, not many blokes can get away with one of those, is it themed (bunny/monkey/furrie)?

Reply to
fred

No - just plain.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Right, so the OFT say that a CC statement is acceptable proof of purchase but someone called fred on Usenet says it isn't.

I think we'll leave it there... :-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

In the pages you referred to the OFT said no such thing, they said that if the original receipt was not available then other proof must be provided, they did not state that a CC statement was unchallengeable proof. When it comes down to it, it would be a for a court to decide each case on its merits, not the OFT.

Please yourself, and good luck in any claim you make.

Reply to
fred