OT: Rant

Contacts also do a poor job on some defects... like my 3 dioptre cylinder where it shakes every time I blink.

Reply to
dennis

Soft lenses? Toric versions of those are notorious. If the astigmatism is on the front of the cornea a spherical hard lens corrects it. If it is on the back of the cornea, specs are probably the answer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your NHS prescription for ordinary specs. Contact lenses AIUI are only available privately. The prescription is different and the lens inner curvature is critical (at least for hard lenses which I had many years ago)

I'm sure a way can be found to lose all records. Probably on a CD on a train, or a newsroom!

Reply to
<me9

I haven't paid for 25 years, for the last 5 years for two different reasons. A good proportion of the population don't pay for standard NHS tests.

I thought you were close to the age the second reason kicks in?

Reply to
<me9

I found many years ago that contact lenses (because of my severe short-sightedness) gave much better correction than any conventional glasses. However, I can no longer use them (or at least the type available then) due to allergies.

Very true.

It does. Most people who have "perfect eyesight" seem to struggle much earlier from the effects of aging, and aren't prepared to admit it, as they've never worn glasses. Generally they're long sighted, but youth allows them to correct, but you don't remain youthful for long!

Reply to
<me9

I'd never had them do that in 60 odd years of wearing glasses, but the BYT who did the last test did so with my existing glasses. Quite impressed (on that and other things too) by her.

Reply to
<me9

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like:

Buxom Young Trainee?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My wife tends to be in and out of hospital a lot, and one day noticed quite a few empty taxis pulling up, while she was waiting. Turned out they were ferrying notes between the two local hospitals (a grand distance of 1 mile).

It still goes on - so my understanding of the nature and need for cuts appears to be different from Mr Camerons.

Mind you, this is the same health authority which refitted another hospital, and made the *only* patient entrance a powered revolving door. When I took my wife there, there was a terrified very elderly lady, who just couldn't get the bottle to enter. I pressed the stop button and helped her through.

Oh, and at *another* local hospital, the neurology department has water fountains like you get in schools that you have to *stand* to use. No cups. I was very popular when I went *downstairs* to the WI, tooks some cups and passed out water to all the wheelchair patients who couldn't use the fountains. When I queried (politely, or you face being accused of assault) whether they had any complaints about the fountains the nurse said "No, the staff all think they're great.

Don't worry folks. NHS incompetence is alive and well, and not going anywhere anytime soon.

If only they had some managers.

Reply to
Jethro

Or the large new hospital where the fracture clinic is at the furthest point and one floor below the level of the entrance that has a lift. There is an entrance and small carpark adjacent to the end of the building that has the fracture clinic but guess where the nearest lift is...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds good, but I thought it was Bright Young Thing...

Reply to
Bob Eager

They do indeed. High minus specs are not only unsightly, but not very efficient from the optics point. But of course 'contacts' are purely vanity according to many. ;-)

Sorry you've had allergies. I'm lucky in that I have no problems with mine.

Plenty who are slightly short sighted do without glasses too - they can limp on later in life without any reading aid. After all they don't *need* to read signs on a motorway with a sat nav....

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't this illegal? I thought wherever a revolving door was in use, there had by law to be ordinary doors left and right of it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Remember the time a few years ago a NHS works manager telling me how he had managed to save the dept quite a bit of money contracting out some jobs to private firms who it seemed were cheaper than his direct woks dept doing the job, so this is what they did.

Course they still had to pay their own people for doing nowt whist the outside contractors lot were doing the job;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Well, I could measure it for a simple lens prescription just by measuring the focal length.

But varifocals plus astigmatism correction - that would be much harder.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

??? IIAC, The doctor doesn't do checkups on demand at our doctors.

You can join the well man clinic and the nurse will call you in at her convenience to have your blood pressure taken once a year.

Derek G.

Reply to
Derek G.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jethro saying something like:

Like the hospital that was built near me; internal doors too narrow for the standard beds in use. The astounding cleverness of that one had me standing back in admiration.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A hard contact lens has many parameters which effect the comfort. The actual power is the simple bit.

I have '+' lenses since I'm long sighted. They are shaped on the outside rather like a 'Tommy' tin hat with a sort of rim.

The diameter of the lens is important - it bears a strict relationship to your cornea diameter.

The inside curve also has to relate to that of the cornea. Not exactly the same but slightly 'flatter' for comfort.

Perhaps the most important thing needed for comfort is the shape of the edge - it has to blend carefully from the outside curvature to the inside one. Very difficult to do on a machine - it is usually done by hand by a skilled technician.

Because of all these variables, the end seller (your optician) who can't check they are all properly done is simply not doing his job properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yet.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or the maternity hospital near us which had a £10,000,000 refit, and manager to have *no* wheelchair accessible showers. Luckily my wife could hobble as I washed her down - pity anyone who couldn't leave the wheelchair.

Reply to
Jethro