OT: Rant

I've worn contact lenses for about 40 years. Used to get new ones quite often as all you had to do was phone up and pay, and they'd post off a new pair. The 'law' was changed a few years ago - you now have to have a sight test before getting new ones. Even although the prescription hasn't changed. Jobs for the boys?

I lost a lens at the weekend. In a caravan site loo - so not really possible to do a good search for it.

Contacted the same optician I've always had - although they've changed ownership a few times - to be told they no longer had my records. So instead of replacements at about 110 quid, they'd have to start from fresh at about 300.

I asked why they didn't simply measure the existing lens (both are the same) and have it copied. The answer? They didn't have the facilities to do so.

So you get new lenses from them and something isn't right. They can't check the lenses have been properly made to the prescription. Great. Bunch of w***ers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought there was a duty to retain such records?

Reply to
Fredxx

I thought by law the optician had to give you a copy of your prescription ?

One of the recent innovations in the NHS, is copying the patient in on all correspondence. It gives you a fighting chance when your notes "can't be found" which is more often that it should be.

Reply to
Jethro

I now go to Asda for my lenses. I wear monthly soft type which cost £24.00 for 3 months supply and that includes check ups. Much cheaper than my previous optician.

Reply to
Ken Graves

If it is so important, why are sight tests charged for? (OAPs, etc exempt) You don't pay for a checkup at a doctor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't want soft lenses. Nasty things. Guaranteed to give you an eye infection at some time. Nor is the vision as good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very far from the truth as there is very good reason to have your sight professionally checked each year.. The purpose of the eye test is not just to check what prescription you need but to see if there are any signs of disease that in many cases can be treated if found early enough. In any case the prescription needed will change over time particularly from the age of forty onwards. If you will pardon the pun it is very short sighted not to do so.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The changes to distance vision with age (if any) generally take place on the front surface of the cornea. Hard lenses stop this happening. My prescription hasn't changed from age 20 or so to date.

Of course I now need a reading aid.

As I said before, if a sight test is so essential to health, why isn't it free? You don't pay for any check up at your doctor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ask your Member of Parliament. It's free in Scotland.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That does not alter the fact that an annual eye test is a prudent thing to do.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Agreed, Fred,

5.5.1 It is essential in the interests of both the registered dispensing= =

optician and the patient that full and accurate records, either hard cop= y =

or electronic, are kept and stored in a systematic and efficient manner.= =

The retention period for records must be greater than the statutory =

limitation period. These periods will cover:

  1. the statutory limitation period which allows claims to be brough= t =

within: a) 6 years for contractual matters; b) 3 years for personal =

injury. The three year period runs from the time that someone becomes =

aware that they have grounds for a claim (therefore reliance cannot be =

made on claims being brought within 3 years of the patient being seen). 2. The NHS requires NHS patients=E2=80=99 records to be retained fo= r seven =

years.

is, the Association of British Dispensing Opticians.

There is more information available by following the link.

This case seems to be one of:

Failure to maintain records as required; Refusal to disclose information from the records; The company actually has nothing to do with the original company despite= =

appearing to have inherited its customers.

I would most certainly consider a subject access request under the DPA. = =

And a complaint to the appropriate body.

It does not matter how sensible or otherwise having eyesights tests may = =

be, they appear to be either lying or incompetent.

Reply to
polygonum

I buy online from these people and they are happy if your prescription is up to 2 years old.

do have to give the contact details for your optician when you purchase, but don't know if or how often they check.

Reply to
DavidM

Food is essentiasl to health, but you have to pay for it... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It is completely arbitrary.

Horrendously expensive procedures can be carried out in hospital without charge.

Eye tests are essential for the health of the individual and other road users etc but most people have to pay until they are 60 although VDU users can often get their employers to pay.

Dental charges are also expensive and ISTR unless you are on benefits you never stop paying them.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

The NHS in England and Wales will only give me one free eye test every two years, not every year, so they, presumably, think that is adequate in the absence of diabetes or a family history of glaucoma. My prescription has changed by about half a dioptre over the past decade.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I use daily disposable lenses and have for quite a few years. I know where to get them by just ticking a box to say I have a prescription but I nevertheless do get them checked every year. My prescription has not varied for years but I consider my sight to be pretty important. One local optician writes on all contact lens prescriptions that they are only valid for 6 months but they are a money making outfit.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

That's not true, its up to the optician when your next test is due. You can have one every 6 months (or less) if required.

Reply to
dennis

and, if you don't fall into a risk category, will it be at less than two year intervals?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Heh, I met an old aquaintance recently ( a school teacher, now reaching retirement age ) and he told me a story.

He's never worn glasses, but lately, he's becoming long-sighted due to age. He has to hold things at arms-length to read them.

He was at the supermarket, and was holding some product at arms-length, trying to read the label. He had to admit defeat, and ( somewhat embarrassed ) asked a woman beside him if, er, she could possibly read the label for him.

She smiled kindly, and read it in her clearest school-marm voice.

She then turned to him and whispered: "It's not too late, you know. There are classes you can go to even at your age where you can learn to read!"

He was unable to find a suitable reply, and thanked her with a weak grin...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Um no. Loss of accomodation for near vision is mosty probably down to hardening of the lens in your eye. Contact lenses have no effect on this.

I get one every two years free.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie