OT : Quick question about recharegeable batteries

Hope someone can give me a quick answer to this one.

Can an old battery charger designed to recharge Ni-Cads be used to recharge Ni-MH cells?

I've got a dedicated charger for my little AAs but not the big D cells I want to charge.

Thanks for any help and happy New Year.

Rob

Reply to
Kalico

Probably best not to, mine has a switch to set NiMH or NiCd, which presumably it wouldn't have if it didn't need it, I think NiMH cells need (or benefit from) delta-V monitoring while charging to avoid overcooking them, buy yourself an Ansmann Energy 8 ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

secuutus

Reply to
Andy Burns

On the cheapo one I have, the NiMH / NiCd switch sets the built in timer to

3 or 5 hours (NiMH being higher capacity). Of course, looking at the charging rate, it may need 8-10 hours on the latest NiMH cells. The old one the OP refers to will charge NiMH, but he will have to work out the charge time.

I have a cheapo delta-V charger (£10) that cuts off when all 4 cells are charged (or never if one cell is duff), so best to buy one with individual delta-V (£25-30), which I assume the Ansmann one is. One with a fan would be nice too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

The "DigiSpeed 4" does individual deltaV and has a cooling fan, but only =

takes AA or AAA, the "Energy 8" takes C/D/PP3 too, but doesn't have a=20 fan ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

"NO"

Reply to
ian s

that should read "YES" and "NO" all depends on charge rate

Reply to
Mr Fixit

have a look at

recommend charging NiMH cells to 1.41 volts at 20 deg. C. so long as the charge rate is less than C/10.

john

Reply to
john

Indeed. Under trickle charging, both types of nickel technology will tolreate being left on trickle essentially forever.

On fast charging its conventional to detect when the voltage at a given charge current DECREASES, and switch off, or to trickle mode, at this point.

This 'Delta V' is quite large - 20-50-mV - on NiCd but much lest -3-8mV IIRC - on NiMh.

Also, while it is safe to charge NiCd at up to three times the capacity (in mA/h) in mA (i.e. charge a 1000mA/h cell at 3A -and I've gine to 5 or 6 times without damage) its not good to charge most NiMh at more than its capacity - I.e.an 1100 cell should be charged at 1.1A or less.

So you can see that whilst a good adjustable fast charger that is built for both CAN charge both, and a trickle charger certainly can, a cheap fast charger designed for NiCd may well not be suitable for NiMh.

No knowing what charge rate you are aiming for, or what charger or cells you have,its impossible to give a shorter answer than that I am afraid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher