OT: Question about fitting a recessed basin

Slightly off topic as I'm asking about how someone has fitted the basin not how to fit it.

I've a recessed basin that should fit onto a worktop, i had thought that the hole cut into the worktop for the basin would have been covered by the front of the basin( with maybe a little silicon at the edges to seal)

the basin looks like

guy thats fitting it has cut two triangular wedges on either side ( uneven wedges at that). They are wider at the bottom than the top and he's covering it with a massive splodge of silicon that he is having to build up in waves due to the size of the wedge shaped holes.

To my diy eye it looks like he's messed up the cut for the basin but he's been insisting that it needs to be like that as the basin needs to be pushed into the worktop, not dropped in.

Does this sound right or more like someone covering up a bad mistake?

Fod

Reply to
friendsofderek

> The guy thats fitting it has cut two triangular wedges on either side

He's covering up a mistake. I've fitted several of these at home. If the cut is done properly the front of the basin covers the edge of the worktop and all that is needed is a thin bead of silicone all round the basin to seal it. Never had to cut any kind of wedges.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

>>> The guy thats fitting it has cut two triangular wedges on either side

Concur.

Reply to
Rod

> The guy thats fitting it has cut two triangular wedges on either side

He has messed up big time and is trying to cover up his mistake and pull the wool over your eyes. I have fitted a number of these in my time and usually they come with a template for the cut-out, if no template was supplied it is not hard to make one out of the cardboard box the sink came in. When installed (correctly) you only need to run a 'normal' bead of silicon around the sink/worktop joint to seal it. Tell him to replace the worktop and do it properly or you will not be paying him, so you can buy some more worktop and employ somebody to do it right. Any chance of a photo?

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Thats called a 'semi' recessed basin, so I would asume that it fits into a slot rather than a hole?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd meant to post the half finished work but now its complete i can show the end product. Am I being picky or is this not a professional finish? I kind of feel I could have done better myself. I'd done the last bathroom but was pushed for time so got someone in this time to do everything but the tiling. Now I wish I hadn't.

friendsofderek

Looks pretty dreadful to me - great splodges of mastic, and seems to have trimmed the laminate on the end of the worktop using a gerbil !

Have you paid him yet ??

Trouble is - I can't see how he could 'remedy' the job - short of ripping it out and doing it again....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

You are not being picky.

My guess. He cut the "slot" for the basin by cutting perpendicular to the front edge straight into the worktop. He should have cut out a slot which is more of a 'D' (with the widest part within the worktop). If you see what I mean. He should have used the supplied template (I'll bet there should have been one) - but even without that he could have made his own template out of cardboard.

However, it *also* looks as if the basin is inset too far. The edge of the basin should have a lip that sits against the front of the worktop and unit. (At least the couple I have done were like that.)

Reply to
Rod

He needs to replace the top (at least) and do the job again properly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've a feeling thats the case. Its one of the big chain stores that sold the stuff and arranged fitting of it via one of their "choice" contractors. The contractors not been paid despite repeatedly claiming I'm happy with the work.

So far its only taken them 2 attempts to fit the sink ( the first had it at an angel to the back of the worktop) And the current count of attempts to stop the toilet leaking when its flushed is 4...

The annoying thing is that I got a kitchen and bathroom from the same place and the kitchen took 1 1/2 days and was no hassle. The bathroom was 4 1/2 days plus another 3 afternoons to try and fix the toliet and build up enough silicon on the basin as its to much for one go.

Got a rep out next tuesday who will judge if there is a problem. If anyone can point me towards a picture of a similar product fitted correctly that would be really helpful. Or if there is a store that has one on display I could look at in the central belt of scotland that would also be a help.

Last time I did the kitchen and bathroom myself, got a great finish on both and all was well. Except it took about 2 1/2 months for me to get them both done. Sadlythe other half wasn't willing to go that long this time.

Fod

Reply to
friendsofderek

I think it'd be very interesting to know the name of the 'chain store'

- and you might also find it useful to print out this thread and show it to the rep from the store when he calls....

It's not up to the rep to judge - you're the customer! Stick to your guns - sounds as if the kitchen fitters are reasonably OK but the bathroom guys don't have a clue.

There was a thread (last week) about the sort of 'experts' that the stores use on this sort of contract - generally underpaid and underskilled... was the consensus..

That'll teach her "Well dear - Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right ?" Go on - I dare you

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Its quite common for these third party fitters to be paid absolute peanuts by the retailers as sub contractors. I get offered work like this from all sorts and always turn it down. Trouble is they end up with fitters who don't have any work coming in - for which there is usually a good reason. Because the rate is so low they then try & do as many jobs as possible to earn a decent wage.

Underpaid, unable to find much other work & trying to rush things - aint gonna work.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Did you see the link on the OP's first post? The one that starts "

" :-)

I'd take that as a big hint. (Of course it is not impossible that the same basin was found to be available from another store. But it seems unlikely.)

Rod

Hypothyroidism is a seriously debilitating condition with an insidious onset. Although common it frequently goes undiagnosed.

Reply to
Rod

Just looked at all the photos you posted.

This is surely a urinal not a basin. It's certainly taking the piss.

You could have got a better job with an angle grinder and car body filler. Indeed, with the help of experts here, you *would* have got a better job.

Reply to
Rod

I once cut the bevelled edge of worktop using an angle grinder !!! Generates lots of smoke.!!

This was many years ago, when I couldn't afford the propper tools for the job, and it was only fitting nextdoor "dropped from lorry whilst delivering, left in garden whilst we get another" kitchen workstop as benchtop in my garage. Still there as far as I know.

Reply to
Ian_m