OT: PVCu replacement doors and windows

SWMBO and I are looking at replacing our doors and windows with PVCu units and I was considering a DIY job but, a company called G2S or Grime

2 Shine have given me a price that nakes me reconsider.

We live in Crencester and believe in seeing what we are buying properly in a showroom before deciding but there are very few companies with showrooms at all or they are too far away.

Has anyone got any comments on G2S and/or can anyone tell me of any PVCu showrooms in the north wiltshire/south gloucestershire area?

I have looked at all the offerings in my local area including Swindon but think G2S have the best product and price.

Any help welcomed.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Dibbs

I don't live in your area Frank - but the main advice I would give you would be to ask small local firms for a quote rather than any of the 'big boys'. And I wouldn't touch 'I say you buy one and you get one free' with a barge-pole...

My experience over the years is that the small local firms will come out and give you a fair reasonable quote straight off. The big boys come out, spend hours telling you why their product is so superior, quote an outrageously high figure - and then spend time on their mobile supposedly doing you a favour talking to their 'sales manager' to offer you a lower price (which will still, invariably, be higher than your local people).

The local people have a reputation to keep in the area - and they usually do a damn good job - and being local are easy to get hold of if any snagging is required.

Reply to
Ret.

Exactly what happened to us. SWMBO then poked around and found five local outfits that have showrooms and examples of their wares; we visited all five to see which ones gave us a warm feeling.

We also poked around the web and became temporary experts on DG. There are the standard physical characteristics of the DG. This includes type of glass used, type of filling of the units (air or argon), and the security aspects such as number of rods that engage with the frame. There can be such rods on the hinge side too.

Then there's the issue of how they are hinge. Upstairs openers have to be able to open to 90deg at the hinges - these look more like "proper" windows so we went with them downstairs too. They can be made to slide along for ease of cleaning.

Finally there's looks - depends whether this matters to you. To my mind, trouble with most DG is that it looks like - DG. Ugly. Have a look here:

and scroll down to see the ovolo profile at the bottom. The roundedness of it, looking a bit like a wooden window, just softens the lines a bit. Ask about equal sightlines too.

Any outfit you use should be FENSA-registered too, something else to check.

We chose a local outfit (not the cheapest local) but a *lot* less than the nationals, even after all their "deals" and haven't regretted it. We have been back for more, too.

+1 to that too.
Reply to
Tim Streater

The other benefit not mentioned for using a local firm is the method to remove the old windows.

Worst is using a big national firm, you are out, you come home to find they have blown the brick ends getting the old glazing out. A local firm knows how to do the job properly, and remembers the cavity closures etc. One used stainless fasteners because the windows were closer to the front outer leaf and might corrode - with evidence of brick spalling from existing fasteners. It is little touches rather than fitters earning 35k/yr and out the door with a bunch of slimey sales reps between you and any remedials being done. Local firms want repeat business, often do the commercial side too.

Likewise, if you want wood, a local firm of joiners can do the job very well - they can be very heavy duty commercial grade, acacia wood and so on. It is possible to get custom wood from a place in Scotland and somewhere in the Midlands which are triple glazed and not expensive (usual DG outer panel, large air gap with venetian blind, secondary glazing inner.

Reply to
js.b1