OT Programming for a child

Ah!, So thats how they c*ck up their Bank webshite is it then;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Id add in Arduino as a cheap platform for robotics/flashing leds/moving servos type programming

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In message , David writes

Just a quick follow-up on this.

I have now got Terminal IDE up and running. It's in the App Store on Android and is free.

I think I didn't have enough free space on the tablet when I first tried it, but after moving everything I could to the SD card, and uninstalling a bunch of apps, it is now up and running well.

It comes with its own virtual keyboard, which is comprehensive but very small and fiddly on a 7" tablet. The Android tablet keyboard is OK, but you have to switch between 3 screens of it to get most of the commands.

My cheapo external Bluetooth keyboard is better, but even that doesn't have all the keys one needs. Terminal IDE does, however, offer a couple of toggles to convert keys to, for example, provide Esc, which is missing from my Bluetooth device.

Apart from these niggles, it is very impressive, and I've staggered through a couple of the example exercises successfully.

Reply to
Bill

Have you tried Hacker's Keyboard?

Reply to
Bob Martin

-

That looks just what is needed and much better than the one included with the app.

I haven't tried it in anger because they turn out to have no Android devices, so I have decided to offer the "give him a Linux laptop" option, and have installed Mint and Eclipse. This was the cheapest option, so I've got to try to renew some tiny amount of programming "knowledge" so there is something for his Dad to look at.

Reply to
Bill