[OT] Problems sending e-mail via Zen

I switched ISP from Demon to Zen a few weeks ago, and am now 500 miles from home, but cannot send e-mails, although can receive.

Am staying with my brother, accessing his wi-fi, as I have done many times before. Web access is fine, as is receiving news and mail, and, I assume, news sending. Is this something peculiar to Zen? Could always send via Demon when connected via brother's wi-fi to his Virgin account.

Error message :

Wed, 15 Oct 2014 21:35:43 SMTP[C8299]

Reply to
News

This is the problem... you're trying to use a Zen SMTP server in the way you'd do at home when connected to Zen - which is probably a login to that server without a userid & password. But at your brother's house you're connected to his ISP instead so when you try to use the Zen server, they have no idea who is making the connection.

The solution is (as it says) to use TLS, ie to do an authenticated logon to the Zen server. Then Zen will know it's you, and trust you.

Ideally you should have used a TLS connection even when at home, so that if you then went elsewhere the same same definitions would work...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

You're looking for something like "my SMTP server requires authentication", and as Jeremy points out that needs to be encrypted with TLS.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes basically. The error message even tells you how to fix it! ;-)

If you are outside of an ISPs range of IP addresses, they will usually deny SMTP send since it would open the floodgates to the spammers.

Hence you need to change your settings to authenticate your SMTP access with your zen username and password, and also enable TLS encryption.

(I am not a turnpike regular, so don't know where to twiddle the settings)

Reply to
John Rumm

Better still NEVER EVER USE AN EMAIL ADDRESS TIED TO AN ISP!!!

Sheesh, plenty of free reliable email services out there that will never cause you any grief when you change ISP.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What on earth has the email address got to do with it? The OP can't establish a connection to the Zen relay. He *might* get bumped off later but that would be a little unfriendly.

The OP has two options:

1) Configure his mail client to always authenticate with the Zen "smart host". 2) Configure his mail client to send mail directly to the recipients listed MX address.

The first is preferable on a device that can pop up almost anywhere on the internet, otherwise you run the risk of your mail being tagged as possible spam depending on where you pop up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like you need a different port setting and authentication setting when not on their network. This is quite common nowadays. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for ALL the comments. Yes, it appears that I need either Stunnel, or to change a setting in Avast to achieve the same effect. I have transferred the query to the Demon Turnpike group, because knowing what needs doing is not the same as knowing how to do it!

Sadly, I need someone to tell me exactly what settings to change, and where.

Reply to
News

Well, if he'd used a third party email address he would have had authentication already set up at home...

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Sounds overly complicated. I used to use Zen and had no problems in either Europe or Asia attaching to a number of ISPs on the way.

Have a look at

Unless Turnpike doesn't allow these settings.

Reply to
AnthonyL

In message , AnthonyL writes

IIRC Turnpike doesn't support Secure Authentication, which AIUI is require here for connection to the ZEN SMTP server.

Hence the need to use Stunnel or send the mail via Avast which can handle the secure connection to the SMTP server.

Reply to
Chris French

His problem is that he uses an e-mail client that doesn't support TLS/SSL. The Avast proxy server will do it for him if he uses that as hi antivirus or he can implement Stunnel which is software for this purpose.

Reply to
bert

In message , bert writes

Perfect summary. Yes, I do use Avast, but cannot find any setting to achieve what I need. Any clues as to which option to select, or setting to change or ...?

Reply to
News

Noted. I see Demon withdrew support for Turnpike "As part of our ongoing commitment to provide excellent levels of support, "

I used to have a handy utility called Mailroam so all outgoing mail was sent to local host, picked up by Mailroam which used the SMTP server I had (last) selected via a dropdown. Worked really well till authentication was required. On the plus side authentication has for me enabled better roaming.

Reply to
AnthonyL