OT Problem with Speedtouch 780 WL Router

Hi All,

I have been trying to tighten security on a Speedtouch 780 WL router. I have enabled WEP,, and it is working ok. I then thought it would make sense to add an administrator password.

I clicked on admin and change password.

left the old password field blank and put the new password into the New Password and Confirm boxes (it's a fairly basic 4 alphanumeric (but not in the dictionary) password) and clicked change password.

I was then prompted to enter a username and password as the box requires these (now).

Only putting blank or Administrator or Admin as the username and the new (or old) password as the password doesn't get me in!

It's a pretty unique password, and being as it had to be entered twice, I can't see that I can have typed it wrong.

Anyone know of any wierd behaviour with these routers with regard to passwords?

Should I be using a different username?

Any ideas?

Virgin suggested a hardware reset, but i'd rather not go down that route If I can avoid it.

Reply to
cpvh

Try the username 'root' (without the quotes).

Try the password transposed on the keyboard, i.e. 'password' transposed to the right would be '[sddeptf'. But personally I'd hardware reset before spending all that time message around.

- Robin

Reply to
Robin

did you try 'Admin' in lower case?

Reply to
George

Have you tried a different browser? iirc with one SpeedTouch I had (a 510v4) with the latest firmware it didn't like authenticating with IE7 (but was fine with IE6 and FF)

Reply to
Darran Ames

Can it handle WPA instead ?

WEP is trivially easy to crack as it transmits the password in plain text, so all someone has to do to use your net connection is "sniff" enough packets to see the password. There are even programs that automate this detection available for free.

An additional, although it probably still wouldn't help much :-} would be to lock down which MAC addresses are allowed to use the router - but again, it's relatively easy to detect the MAC of a machine, and you can "tweak" the MAC address of another machine to make it think it's one of the allowed addresses.

As far as the admin password is concerned, as long as you don't have remote access enabled, you should only be able to access the router config "locally" - you may be able to tell it to only accept admin requests from a machine with direct cable connection. If they've got that far, they're already in your house, and you have a bigger problem than them trying to piss around with your router settings :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson