OT: Problem with Firefox

Sorry for the OT post but I'm not keen on any of the PC groups I've read.

Yesterday I accidently switched off the PC at the socket without shutting it down - it shares the same mains as the Acorn I use for news and email. It had only booted and no progs load at boot. When I came to use it later Firefox had lost my bookmark file. It also threw up a Foxmark window I'd not seen before and asked for a user name and password - which I really can't remember ever having entered and don't want or need since I'm the only one using that machine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From

Firefox 1.5 and up automatically creates backup copies of your bookmarks. They are saved in a folder called bookmarkbackups. You can find this folder in your Firefox profile directory.

"C:\Documents and Settings\{...}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{...}.default\bookmarkbackup"

To replace lost bookmarks, simply copy the backup file to your profile folder (one level up) and rename it to "bookmarks.html".

Reply to
Adrian C

Best searching google for..lost bookarks in firefox

Im using version 2.0 because the earlier 1.7version I was using did excatly the same.

Reply to
George

Did it at any stage say something like "Profile already in use" - and invite you to create a new one, based on a blank, with no bookmarks etc.?

I've had that quite a few times in the past, and it's due to an instance of Firefox still running 'cos it hasn't shut down clearly. The trick is to bring up Task Manager with CTRL/ALT/DEL, click on Processes and look for any instances of Firefox.exe If there are any, select them and click on End Process and ignore all the dire warnings.

When you re-start Firefox, it comes up properly - with all your bookmarks in place.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Why not just upgrade to the most recent ver,which has the problem fixed from doing it.

Reply to
George

I have, and I don't think think it's done it recently, so it may well have been fixed in the later version.

I simply mentioned it in case it was relevant to the OP's problem. For all I know, he may be using an earlier version.

Reply to
Roger Mills

People are not keen on the off-topic posts either. Which PC groups wouldn't help you?

Reply to
Rob Farrell

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 23:34:38 +0100, "Rob Farrell" mused:

Which people? I don;t mind when they are on topic for the collective knowledge of the regulars, and posted by a regular.

Reply to
Lurch

Most it appears.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm on an awfully steep learning curve with windows after being only used to the Acorn and couldn't find the file in Documents and settings. Found it by doing a search on C, though. But how you copy it up one level defeats me. Copy in the menu appears to do nothing - I was expecting a box telling me where to copy it to. But I dragged it to a floppy then imported it to bookmarks and everything seems ok now. So thanks for telling me the backup existed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is version 2.0.0.6

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Full of wankers like you, actually.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most odd? this machine someties takes a wobbler now and again and have been browsing the net when its reset the machine and one time the electric went off due to a tripping of the MCB. Never touched y bookmarks though.

Have you searched for updates and installed all the addons?

Reply to
George

after having cut or copied it, you go to where you want it to be moved or copied to and paste it there ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Use this program for transfering files from one destination to the other.

have two panes,one pane is the source and the other is the destination. You have to locate the source file first in the (left) pane then click in the opposite(Right)pane and locate the folder you require the source file to be copied to.

Enjoy :0)

Reply to
George

One thing that will catch you, is the "Application Data" file has by default its "hidden" attribute set. You need to got to the Tools | Folder Options Menu, select the View tab, and find the "Hidden Files and folders" entry. Set that to show hidden files.

while you are there you can change some other brain dead default settings:

Display full path in the address bar and same for the title bar are more useful turned on. (helps you see where in the directory tree you are)

Turn off the evil "Hide extensions of known file types" - it is this little gem that convinces people to double click files called IamNotAVirusReally.txt.exe, because windows is daft enough to show it with the default .txt application icon, when in fact it is an executable file.

Remember each folders view settings is handy in as far as it goes (it actually only remembers the last 100)

Launch folder windows in separate process, will make things run a little more snappily if you have a reasonable amount of RAM (i.e. >512MB)

Copy from the menu just copies to the clipboard. If you navigated to the new folder and then did paste, you would get want you want.

Make sure you have the standard buttons toolbar on (View) menu - that gives you the "up one level" navigation button. You can also double click my computer again to open a second (or third or fourth etc) window on the file system, to make dragging and dropping easier.

Using Ctrl + C to copy, CTRL + V to paste, and CTRL + X to cut (i.e. move) files works. Another useful tip is clicking and dragging with the right mouse button. This will pop up a context menu on the drop giving options to let you choose a copy, move, or create shortcut.

Reply to
John Rumm

For future reference, "Copy" copies it to the "clipboard". You then navigate up a level (or wherever) and select "Paste".

If you want to *move* a file rather than copying it, use *cut* and paste rather than copy and paste. Be reassured that it's actually only a

*reference* to the file that's put in the clipboard, and the file isn't deleted from its old location until you paste it to its new location. So there's no chance of losing a file by cutting it and then not pasting it.

This might all sound a bit weird, but I imagine you'll get used to it. Copy, cut, and paste are part of the basic armoury of tools of all but the most basic Windows user, and are very widely used, not just for files, but for parts of documents and other objects.

Nothing personal, but it staggers me that people expect to be able to use computers with little or no training. Have you considered buying a book? e.g.

Mike Barnes

Why not go straight to Linux and save yourself another learning curve? (Not to mention the grief and frustration that's likely to drive you to making that second change, if you're used to being in control of your pc rather than vice versa :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yep, they are all wankers except you. Duh!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Opera seems to be flavour of the month browser wise. I like the speed dial thing

Reply to
Stuart Noble