OT - problem with car insurance quote

Please can someone tell me if the following is "industry standard" - you can only use your no claims discount if you have been a policy holder within 2 years.

Or, to put this in different words: the last time I was a policy holder was 2.4 years ago. Back then, I had built up 6 years of no claims. But recently, I have simply been a "named driver" on someone else's policy.

I can't use my old 6 years no claims now, because it was over 2 years ago. This is a problem. The cheapest quote I am getting is over a grand, instead of what it should be, and that's about 300 quid.

The bottom line - can anyone please tell me if there are any car insurance companies that allow your no claims discount years to be over 2 years old. Eg

2.5 or 3 years "out of date". Thanks very much for any comments. Really appreciate any help.
Reply to
cdr

only use your no claims discount if you have been a policy holder within 2 years.

years ago. Back then, I had built up 6 years of no claims. But recently, I have simply been a "named driver" on someone else's policy.

This is a problem. The cheapest quote I am getting is over a grand, instead of what it should be, and that's about 300 quid.

companies that allow your no claims discount years to be over 2 years old. Eg

2.5 or 3 years "out of date". Thanks very much for any comments. Really appreciate any help.

Sadly it is industry standard. Having said that when I fell into this trap I found that ringing the few cheapest companies that the comparison sites threw up and explaining the situation got me a few quid off the quoted price, though I still had to start again building up my NCD.

Simon

Reply to
SimonUsenet

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

Companies on comparison site know they are competing predominantly on price so they will do anything to make extra money. Go to others not on these sites

Reply to
hugh

Don't go to Direct Line.My insurance went up over 100% with no claims bonus taken into consideration Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

Did you phone them to ask them for a best price before you started looking around? I got a £150 reduction in the premium at renewal just for a phone call.

Reply to
OG

In message , OG wrote

Should you give the business to a company that attempts to overcharge you by £150 in the first place? A reputable company would give you the best price, for your loyalty, when they sent the renewal quote.

Reply to
Alan

I can only assume you never buy car insurance.

Reply to
Huge

I don't know about "reputable". But "decent" would fit.

Or you could deduce, as I do, that there are no decent insurance companies.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

When I get a renewal quote which is 30/50% more than the previous year's cost of insurance that company doesn't get my business for that year. No UK insurance company is interested in retaining existing custom and offer "new" customers large discounts (or in reality offer new customers the going rate).

These days it only takes a matter of minutes to find quotes on the Net. Often the same parent company will offer widely different rates depending on which "brand" they are pushing that day.

Reply to
Alan

Even if they subsequently offer the best price?

True.

I do wonder how many of these companies would handle claims.

Reply to
Mark

Strangely, the last few years (including this year) Elephant have offered me a renewal price better than I've been able to get for the same cover elsewhere, or by entering myself as a new Elephant customer.

Unusual, though, I agree. I used to end up flip-flopping back and forth between them and Direct Line.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams