[OT] Prius bashing

Heaven forbid it should become the Labour party.

That would be worse than Blair.

The only one thing he has done is demonstrate that a true 'labour party' is completely unelectable: If one gets in by default, god help us all.

We don't have a labour force any more, so why do we even pretend we need a labour party?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. The old A series with an SU carb in a minimally equipped 50's body on skinny tyres would turn in around 45-50mpg.

If you kept it down to a daring 55mph or so ;-)

Which, considering the cooling, engine wear, adhesion and brakes, was only wise.

Cat converters knocked about 15% off fuel economy, which was largely got back via fuel injection and slightly lighter cars.

Modern low profile tyres reduce it a fair bit more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As it happens - I've just taken on a '64 Traveler, and (lacking an in-car consumption computer !) I've been keeping a rough tally of the mpg - which has been round about 35 - 40 so far.

Now we don't tend to drive very fast out here (too many sheep / tractors / & old bu**ers in Moggies in the way) - but a lot of our motoring is fairly short journeys, and / or up and over the mountains. I'm not sure I'd consider a Moggie as practical transport on UK motorways - but out here it's fine.

In terms of 'life cycle costs' I guess the fact that this one's still going 43 years after manufacture (albeit with an unspecified number of rebuilds, spare panels etc) must count for something.

For me, the attraction is the overall simplicity of the thing - which equates (I hope!) to low maintenance costs....

It's also great fun to drive

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

OMG I actually read something from the Torygraph!

Still it's the same old dross a few 'economic truths'...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Only plumbing counter assistants with hacksaws

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think the new system takes CO output into consideration to close that loophole.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

So you're now admitting you can't read - but can certainly write rubbish.

Seek treatment soon.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My father had the first Morris Minor in Scotland fitted with the Austin

803cc OHV engine - in 1953. It being a business car, he kept accurate records of the fuel used over the three years he had it. And that averaged out at 53 mpg. He was averaging about 12,000 miles a year and much of that open road motoring, and of course traffic wasn't so heavy. But then the roads were less straight and level than today.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. The steering feel of a Minor is quite superb. Something denied to a Prius driver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More to the point they are not penalised for being a "large vehicle" - which might at least have some bearing on congestion[1].

To link traffic congestion and CO2 seems rather nonsensical! (that is assuming that you accept the "congestion charge" is actually about controlling congestion, rather than just a bit of lefty social engineering and tax raising.

[1] The large vehicle argument would seem best supported by when their is a bus strike - traffic flows so much better!
Reply to
John Rumm

If you're talking about the Prius then they are hardly common in London. While I respect your otherwise informed posts, you really are heading into Jeremy Clarkson style fantasy land here. The only thing that has ever frustrated me is just crap drivers, I've yet to see any correlation between Prius drivers (on the rare occasion I've seen one) and holding traffic up. All those black London taxis accelerate like lightning, as we all know.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Please eff off as you are a worthless troll.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

CO2 isn't lethal otherwise we'd all be dead. All current petrol engined cars actually clean the atmosphere in towns of many noxious substances. But then I'd not expect you to know anything about such things. They don't tell you that in Prius ads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, they will rip everyone off, including naive Little Middle Englanders.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Twoche ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably just as bad in a boggy wood. Ok if you can find it in Tesco's carpark, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Minor did 0-60 in 30 mins. Please get real.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off as you are a worthless troll.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That is real? Seek treatment now. Please.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps you'd give details of how you think the article was skewed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)