OT pregnant.

SWMBO brought this bitch home. Found it running about in the traffic. No-one knows whose it is. Suspect SWMBO wants to keep it rather than turn it in to the pound! No-one else would want it. Suspiciously fat. Pregnant?

How can you tell?

(One dog is enough, never mind a pack.) Smellie collie cross of some description. Seems quite timid. Maybe abused. I'll take it oputside & give it a hose/wash down to fix the odour problem.

Reply to
harryagain

harryagain scribbled

If it's fat, it's been fed, so probably missed by owner.

Reply to
Jonno

All dogs smell bad, you just don't notice until you stop having one in your home.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Take it to a vet or the PDSA to see if it's micro-chipped.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Or it's pregnant.

The best way forward is to take it to the vet and get them to scan it for a microchip. They're likely to be able to give a reasonable clue on whether it's up the duff or not at the same time.

If you can't be bothered to risk a few quid on that, then police stations can do the scanning, I think.

Reply to
Adrian

On 22 Apr 2015, Bob Martin grunted:

You ought to be able to feel any pups if it's heavily pregnant. Plus, swollen nipples?

+1

You're making an assumption (which may be right or wrong) that it's been dumped; however before you keep it you need to rule out the possibility that it's a much loved family pet.

If you at leat stick your head above the parapet the putative owner would have a chance of finding their dog. Happened to us a few months back; we rescued a stray off the main road (obviously a pet) and alerted the local vet; who the following morning put us in touch with the owners, who had in turn contacted the vet themselves.

Reply to
Lobster

The vets round here will do all that for nothing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes one should take it in or at least to a local vet. Most have a chip reader and if its got one reuniting might be easy. It might just be a very highly strung dog, many of the type you describe often are.

It really should be checked for a chip ASAP, or you might be done for theft if the owner finds out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have asked round the village for the owner. No-one can help. We have put notices up too. It could be fat because it's pregnant?

SWMBO has bought dog food. Dog is not keen on it.

Reply to
harryagain

That's not a nice thing to say about peoples wives/girlfriends.

Reply to
Bod

I agree, having seen this from the other side.

One of our cats went missing a couple of years ago (bulders were demolishing the brothel next door and they basically removed our garden gate as it was attached to the premises).

Someone picked her up and didn't have her scanned, etc. Kept her, and had her vaccinated - for some reason they didn't manage to get the chip on a routine scan, although the cat in question does wriggle a lot. This was repeated at the booster vaccination.

She was then taken back to be spayed, and they scanned her while 'under'. This time they got the chip and phoned me. They wouldn't let the 'finder' have the cat back, and I collected her that day - two months after the loss.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 22/04/2015 10:09, Bob Eager wrote: ...

Apparently, the chips are quite difficult to find in cats as they often move about under the skin and end up in odd places.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, hers had moved and it was difficult to scan all over as she is a bit frisky (until anaesthetised!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Of course not. She belonged to you, not the finder - but I hope you paid for the spaying.

That must have been pleasing!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Might be worth checking the web site

(also a good site to post if you lose one).

Sadly it may well have been dumped because of this. Certainly worth getting it checked for chipping.

Reply to
newshound

My point was that she didn't actually try and find an owner herself.

The cat was already spayed. There was still quite a bill, because the vet had actually opened her up before finding there was nothing to take out.

I offered to pay, but the vet said the finder had disappeared, not wanting to be contacted, and had already paid.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It is reportable to the local council.

Of course the dog I found was well looked after for the night (it was chipped and returned to the owner)

ARW

Are her teats swelling? IIRC a bitch's teats will swell a few weeks before she sprogs. If they're not swelling, maybe she's just fat. Get her to a vet, as others have said. Charge it to your electricity subsidy account, and consider it paid for by the great British public.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Or a gut full of worms!

Reply to