OT Post-it notes

This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made a phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the house and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks through the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a post it note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

More importantly, did she have nice bristols?

Seriously - I'm happy if someone turns up +/- 30 minutes of the said time (for an all day job) and I usually offer coffee imediately. A caffinated bloke is a happy bloke :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

What! You don't offer him the choice of coffee *OR* tea - along with a selection of biccies? Tightwad! ;-)

Reply to
Ormolu

In article , ARWadsworth writes

She is paying you so you are her bitch.

Whilst this can be fine as part of a role play, it is rarely a sound basis for a business relationship.

Was the Post-it note what you wrote, "Bye, I do not work for control freak cnuts" on before sticking it on her door?

Thank the lord that you don't read the daily mail.

Reply to
fred

Indeed. I offer a choice of tea or coffee (real coffee, not instant), and a selection of homebaked treats.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You should have returned the `post it` with the message `if before 8.00 am then yes at £40 per hour`

Reply to
SS

Probably both ;-)

Did you write "yes" on the note and hand it back? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Sometimes biccies, if I remembered (we don't have them by default because we're lumpy enough as it is). As for tea, it is the strainings of the devil's underpants, so I tend not to have it available. I only like the various chinese green teas and most british blokes don't.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Fancy pants! ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Probably worried that talking to you before your start time would be an 'extra'. Notes don't count as you can ignore them. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Likewise. The building guy and his apprentice doing my front garden wall seemed to prefer 'instant' "coffee" so I had to buy a jar of some sort of "granules" to keep them happy (four or five rounds a day) to go with my fabled home-molished cheese scones.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Should it not have been "..'may' I talk..." (sigh, grin etc)

Reply to
dave

Hmm, maybe she was just embarrassed to speak. Could be an old no talking before certain hour in her road, ancient bylaw under pain of devastating retribution or some such.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's because we are British dammit! None of this filthy foreign muck :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ARWadsworth :

One incidence of apparent weirdness doesn't make a world gone mad. And I could imagine circumstances where this would count as rational behaviour.

Is there something we're not being told? Was there a reason she didn't just stand and wait? What did she have to say?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I have to dilute "real" coffee with hot water (compared to SWMBO's preferred strength, that is).

Fabled? You mean they don't exist? Or do we need to organise an expedition to furrin parts to find them?

Reply to
Tim Streater

errr Dave, *all* tea is foreign... We're just the weirdos who though putting cowjuice in it was a good idea.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And it *is* a good idea. Milk binds the tannin in tea, thus reducing the tea's bitterness.

Reply to
Tim Streater

She was desperate to speak to you immediately - some people are like this and just can't wait for a couple of minutes. She wanted an instant result. However she was aware that it was impolite to interrupt a telephone conversation and also to just stand there as if she was listening in. So loads of displacement activity followed by a solution - pass you a note so your call is not interrupted, she doesn't have to stand there outside waiting, but no delay in you knowing exactly what she wants. Problem solved to her complete satisfaction.

Was it anything urgent? Presumably she explained what she wanted once you made you 08:00 a.m. appointment. Unless of course she had already left because of an emergency?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I'm puzzled too. If I was making a call at *any* time and someone came up and hovered around, I would ask the person on the phone to hold on for a moment whilst I enquired what the problem was. To ignore someone in such circumstances, I think could be interpreted as being rude.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap